First Video Game - Development Progress!!!

For my first video game, BackRoomz: NULL, I am creating my own interpretation of The Backrooms!!!
These are in-game shots of how it looks so far!!
More Matterdama socials dedicated to this new content can be found here!

4 Likes

Greetings @Matterdama; I hope you’re doing great! Thank you for sharing the creative process of your first video game, “BackRoomz: NULL,” with us on the forums, and welcome to the UE community! :partying_face:

I must say, these screenshots are impressive and showcase some exciting in-game environments. I’m curious, how long have you been developing the game? :eyes:

1 Like

Thank you for replying @Zezkaii; I am doing great, thank you for asking! I hope you are just as well! Thank you for the support!
I started this project early 2023, late January. I hope to make great progress by the end of the year, however, being one person and in college, it can be tough! I hope to be halfway by the end of the year, if not farther, however time will tell!
Once again, thank you for the response! I will continue to post and keep y’all up to date!

1 Like

The pleasure is all mine, and thank you for your kind wishes; I’m doing well! I understand how difficult it can be to balance personal desires with responsibilities, and I wish you the best of luck in that pursuit. I am, however, excited to see what this year has in store for the progress of BackRoomz: NULL! :star_struck:

1 Like

You’re welcome, that’s good to hear! I should have a new hint post coming out soon!

1 Like

Hi there @Matterdama,

Hope you’re well and having a wonderful week so far!

You’ve definitely managed to capture the Backrooms environmental spookiness. The yellow brightness somehow only adds to the ominous feeling of the project. Wonderfully done!

Thanks for sharing and I can’t wait to see more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for responding @PresumptivePanda,
I have been great, a good productive week indeed, thanks for asking, I hope yours has been as well!
It’s very nice to hear that you are appreciating and getting that ominous feeling from The Backrooms! It really helps a lot hearing that from someone else, it helps me know that what I am doing is working!
Thank you so much for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
Hopefully soon I will get a post up about the storyline I have been working on!

2 Likes

Stoked to see it! Do you plan on showcasing a bit of gameplay with the storyline additions?

2 Likes

That’s great to hear!
As of right now, I don’t want to give away gameplay until I’m ready to start releasing my own DevLogs, that’s what they’ll be for!
Their focus will be on covering a ton of details to fill people in, whoever is interested!
That is what my YouTube is solely going to focus on right now, along with the trailer too once the game is released!

2 Likes

Well I’m definitely interested in following the project so be sure to update us here too :slight_smile:

Happy developing in the meantime!

2 Likes

No worries, I’ll be posting on every MatterDama social, even this one too!
And thanks, I am literally working on it right now as we speak!

2 Likes

The lore lingers in the Blue Moon Motel, the most popular rest spot in all of Bezkar.

1 Like

This location has a brooding, mysterious atmosphere! :fearful:

Will the hotel be ;pcated behind the small enclosure on the left side of the road? :eyes:

Oh, you bet, but that’s just the start into learning about how you get stuck in The Backrooms.
I am integrating popular known elements of The Backrooms in whilst also going for a less traditional approach, like how you enter.
You don’t necessarily no-clip, it’s something much wilder and more immersive!

1 Like

Okay, but this sounds wild! I want no; I NEED to know more; it sounds like you have the story element of this game all planned out. Have you been able to develop more of the in-game landscape, if you don’t mind me asking? What kind of otherworldly encounters can we expect? :scream:

Yep, I do have the storyline all planned out.

However, because of how long it took to develop, and since I’m constantly thinking of new ideas, I am just now finally caught back up to the first level lol.

And on that note, this first level should be finishing up soon, so stay tuned for, yes, environmental updates!

*And do note that each level I call sectors because they are bigger than you’d expect, since they consist of multiple different vibes in one!
That is why the posts take kind of long to release since I like teasing one sector at a time.