First post - just looking for some general guidance or advice

Hi, I recently started learning about Unreal 4 and would like to learn about making games.

I want to start the prototyping phase of a game but can’t find a clear explanation about level streaming and levels in general. I don’t want to start creating some of my assets before I sort of learn how things will go together in the game engine.

I would like to build an open world environment so from what I’ve read, this is where level streaming would come into play. I want to create at least from the origin of the world an urban/city environment and most of the stuff I’ve seen so far in the learning materials is about creating natural landscape type settings.

If anyone can suggest a good starting place for building my environment or offer any advice about getting good guidance in this area, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Welcome! :slight_smile:

1. take a look at this video (explains the world composition tool) + at the documentation: ?v=fUx8vLosDLY https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/LevelStreaming/index.html
  2. depending on the size of your map you will have to:

-add meshes which blocks the view of the player
-use culling volumes
-use good LOD’s
-use low poly meshes
-dont use too many/too complex materials
-stream the levels -> when you are in one part, hide the other part of the map

Even for an urban environment I would still use a landscape as the ground -> you can paint on it + it already has good LOD’s

thanks, that video was very helpful!

I will look more into culling volumes and I’m afraid I do have to learn more about LOD’s.

I guess I’m wondering what happens if you’re on an elevated piece of landscape for instance overlooking several layers of a cityscape, do they all have to be loaded to be visible? I’m just trying to get a good idea of what I need to do to pull off a seamless world with streaming layers.