EXPERIMENTAL Volumetric Light Scattering Effect - right now should only be used in a testing environment – will update when it’s considered production ready.
The “graphicsdemos” project contains the project I used to make the forest v2 demo.
- Performance - VLS Render pass runs at 2.2 ms
- Quality - Need to get in the bilateral upsample filter, for now you can sacrifice performance for quality by decreasing r.CVarVolumetricLightScatterDownSample
- Having more then one VLS in a scene can cause issues - workaround turn off VLS lights when they are out of view with a trigger.
- Only been tested with Spot Lights
- Spot Light is doing a sphere intersection test to determine wether or not the ray should get drawn - this makes the VLS look kind of wierd - will get fixed when I switch it over to a cone intersection test.
- VLS Gets brightner sometimes depending on how close you are to the camera.
- Toggling on and off VLS doesn’t work right.
Current VLS Light Options:
- Enable Volumetric Light Scatter - Toggles VLS on or off for a given light.
- Num VLSRay Steps - This is how many raymarches to do for the VLS highering this number can fix banding, lowering it can cause more banding but will speed up the shader.
Forest Demo v2 and Fan