Finding all references (actors) to a static mesh in a level

Hi all!
I’m looking for a way to find all the actors that have been instantiated in a level from a single static mesh.
The Reference Viewer will tell me that the static mesh is indeed used in the level, but it will not tell how many times it is used or give me the name of those actors in the level.
Am I missing something? There’s got to be a way to do this!
Thanks

Are you trying to select all of the StaticMeshActors that are using a specific StaticMesh? UE has Editor Utility Blueprints, which I haven’t tried, but it sounds like they could provide the tools to do that.

Try Get All Actors Of Class | Unreal Engine Documentation to get all AStaticMeshActor (or whatever actor has the mesh you are interested in). Then do another pass over the output array to filter each of these actors based on their static mesh asset.

In the Content Browser, right click on the static mesh asset > Asset Actions > Select Actors Using This Asset.

All matching actors in the level will be selected and World Outliner will tell you how many actors are selected.

3 Likes

That has to be the best way :smiley:

Yes, I was assuming OP wanted to figure this out while the game is running :grinning:

Thanks for all the answers! All very useful! @Doug_Richardson that is exactly what I was looking for.

On a sidenote, my colleagues also found another good yet less intuitive way to do it. The Statistics window, when set to Primitive Stats, also allows you to do that. Clicking on any asset in the “Actors” column will select all instances of it in the level.

1 Like