Fighting Game Genre In Unreal Engine 4

I want to make a fighting game in unreal engine 4, but I don’t know where to start.

I got the project set to 2D platformer, but I don’t know what to do after that.

Any help would be nice. Thank you.

Well, there is a fighting game style camera tutorial here: https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?67129-TUTORIAL-Smash-Bros-style-multiplayer-camera-system-(blueprints) .
Then I’d probably look into rotating actors to face each other & detecting forwards / backwards for combos

-create the camera + movement
-add health + damage + combat system
-add a points system

But before you create the upper things, make sure to learn the basics of the engine -> youtube beginner tutorial series :slight_smile:

I don’t recommend taking on something that ambitious as your “first” game project. Making video games is incredibly difficult and complex. This is why you have massive teams of hundreds of talented devs working on big games; most of the time you will have even multiple working on the same project for years.

By simply coming onto the game dev scene and wanting to make a difficult/ambitious game, you’re just setting yourself up for failure. Instead, first learn the tools and do some research to better understand what this project will entail.

Also, start off with something simple, a simpler game. Make something super basic and don’t make a complete game. Instead work on a demo or small vertical slice. By focusing on a prototype or demo, you won’t be biting off more than you can chew. If you do, then what will happen is you will get overwhelmed fast and give up pretty quickly soon after. Scope your project correctly and be realistic with your goals and ideas. Take baby steps before you decide to be an olympic sprinter. Hope that makes sense.

Do some research online, you’ll find tons of info, docs, and tutorials on creating small pieces of a game. Once you get talented at it, you can then slowly create your fighting game from scratch. Take care and good luck with your project!

I agree. I’d start by making a side scroller, there is a lot of tutorials and information about that. From there I’d make a simple combo system, and then go from there.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll go by taking baby steps before getting to my goal of my video game.