Download

Few questions from a UE4 newb

Hi all,

First off, I consider myself to be a pretty decent programmer. I’m an undergrad CS student (senior). I was excited to hear that UE4 is free now! And now that school’s out I have time to tinker. I’m busy working with C++ anyway, to prepare for compiler writing, so I feel fairly comfortable with it.

I’m developing on Windows 8.1 (pro, x64), with VS 2013 ultimate (thank you, Dreamspark.) I am currently following the FPS wiki tutorial.

1. Is there any way to get VS to correctly indent lines following UE4 macros? e.g. when I have

UCLASS()
class FPSPROJECT_API AFPSGameMode : public AGameMode
{
	GENERATED_BODY()

// TODO: is this needed?
	AFPSGameMode(const FObjectInitializer& ObjectInitializer);

virtual void StartPlay() override;

};

if I created a newline after GENERATED_BODY(), the editor will indent again (because there’s no semicolon after the macro). This is rather annoying, since I have to backspace out of it.

1. See the TODO in the code snippet above. The tutorial says that this ctor is needed, but IntelliSense complains about it being defined already (and indeed it is, in the *.generated.h header.) Is this normal? Or am I doing something incorrectly? I realize that there may be finer points to UE4 C++ that I am not aware of, or that there might have been API changes since this tutorial was written.

Thank you!