[feedback] UE5 steals focus window on Mac

I am using UE5.1 (original Intel version installed via epic launcher) on Mac OS 13.0.1 (22A400) on M1 chip.

I am not sure if this is relevant, but I have an external monitor attached.

I have noticed that sometimes UE5 Editor is stealing window focus. If you click on any other app after a few hundred milliseconds the focus is back on UE5 Editor.

If that happens, I need a second computer to be able google anything.

I have found a post from another user that reports the same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/vkehtj/unreal_engine_5_macos_bug_ue_pulling_window_focus/

Can confirm this behaviour even on an empty project on a MacBook Pro 13" M1. It steals the focus from actually anything, even the Finder.

I can’t figure out what is causing this.

MacOS Ventura 13.1 (22C65) & UE 5.1.1

Same issue with UE5.1.1 from Epic Launcher on 16" Macbook Pro with M1 Pro, Ventura 13.2.1. Also steals focus away from the top icon tray, if that’s relevant. I’ll try using the native-compiled version and report back if it happens there.

I have the same problem, only it happens to me randomly, not immediately after opening the editor. 5.2 Preview also having this problem.

I too am experiencing this issue. It makes trying to learn, with the engine open on one screen and tutorial open on another, pretty much impossible.

Are their any workarounds? Is this something that support is aware of?

Same problem here- M2 MacBook Pro with external monitor, UE5 just keeps popping up on top and there’s no way to stop it. Fix please!

Happening here on 5.2.1 too. After a random amount of time. Sometimes I can flip backwards and forward between the editor and Rider for hours before it starts, others it kicks in after five minutes.

Happening still on 5.3.0 on Ventura M1 Studio

Was looking for a solution, same issue with mine…and its not just on other windows, I can’t even create a new layer within UE5.
Mine is 15" Air, M2, Ventura 13.5.2

This is happening to me on unreal 5.3, M1 mac, really annoying. It makes using the editor impossible.

1 Like

Same issue, 16" mbp with the m1 pro on 12.5 Monterey. Trying to make the switch from Unity to Unreal, and I can’t do anything with unreal stealing focus from anything and everything.

Hello,

I have the same Issues with the Mac Studio M1 Max with Unreal 5.3

Hi All,

I have the same problem. Macbook Pro M2 (Ventura 13.5.1) and an external monitor. With the lid open and using external monitor causes UE5 to steal focus away from other windows (on either display). E.G. after clicking on a browser window the focus goes straight back to UE5 main interface window.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

This problem is still present with Unreal Engine 5.3.1 - my setup:

• Apple MacBook M1 Max
  • Mac OS Venture - 13.5.1 (22G90)
    Can’t figure out a workaround :frowning:
2 Likes

Having this problem too
M3 Max

I’ve got the same problem randomly on MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020. I say randomly, but it definitely happens, when I open a modal window in Unreal Editor, e.g. “Project settings”. After I close it, then focus stealing happens all the time, exactly the way as others explained.
Restarting the editor helps, but that’s a temporary workaround - until you have to open a modal window again…

Same issue here on Sonoma 14.3.2 M1 Pro. This is extremely frustrating as any actual multitasking is impossible due to this bug. How are we supposed to be productive using this software?

How has this never been solved? This makes UE almost unusable for an entire OS?

Is there a barrier for removing this behaviour?

Same issue here. Sonoma M1 chip.

Same issue. macOS Sonoma; Macbook Pro M3 MAX.