Feedback on Zelda style RPG combat product

Hi guys, first time using the forums so I hope I’ve started this topic in the right place.
I’m relatively new to creating assets for the unreal engine marketplace. I’ve already produced a top down first person shooter template and released it last year to some success.

Anyway, I’m looking for feedback on my latest project which is to recreate the combat mechanics of Zelda Ocarina of Time as closely as possible within unreal engine. I know there are many such combat template mods (lock on targeting especially) on the marketplace though I was hoping mine would provide a more concrete base for developers to work from. Basically, I want someone to be able to buy my product, swap out the character models and animations, add their maps and quest system and get to work as fast as possible producing an N64 style adventure game.

List of things that are included so far:
-Lock on mechanics, (lock on auto retargets when button is pushed twice of if you defeat the currently targeted enemy)
-Strafing and sidestepping/backflipping to avoid enemy attacks
-Enemy AI that can shoot and damage the player.
-Sword swinging mechanics.
-Full animations for all these things.
-HUD with hearts that decrease based on an easily modifiable Integer value 4=1 heart. so 40int is equal to 10 hearts.
-Fairy companion that indicates which enemy will be locked onto when the lock on button is pressed.
-Music that fades in and out based on whether you are in combat.

I tried really hard to get the lock on mechanics as similar to Ocarina of time and Majora’s mask as possible. Such as the lock on automatically targeting based on the proximity of the enemy from the players forward vector, and if the enemies are too close then it selects the one that is nearest to the player. This sounds weird but it results in targeting that is much more intuitive and easier for the player than having to switch with another stick. Most of this asset can be controlled with only one stick (the n64 only had one :wink: )

I’ve also included an Ocarina mechanic that let’s you play events based on the order of notes you’ve played. I’ve included rain and teleportation events for example.
And I’ve included a simple day night cycle with background ambient sounds that change based on the time of day.

Video of it in action:

What do you guys think? Is it too basic? Should I add more features? What price range would you suggest?
Any feedback is greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Last thing, I’m wondering if I should include any mention of Zelda Ocarina of Time in my description or title, not sure if epic games would like that from a legal perspective. Though it would certainly help people find my product easier if they are searching for zelda style combat mods.

1 Like

The zelda z-targeting has a few more components to it:

1. When there is no enemy to target, strafe behaviour for Link. he cannot face the camera while z-targeting, but with no enemies selected.

2. When z-targeting an enemy who is more than X distance from Link, keep Link’s back to the camera. however, when he is Z-targeting an enemy AND is less than X distance from enemy, the camera will keep its location and let Link orbit around the enemy (Link can circle around behind the enemy, so he’s facing the camera)

3. Also while less than X distance from enemy, the camera actually targets the half way point between link and enemy.

4. The camera will zoom in or zoom out dynamically to try to keep both Link and the enemy on the screen

I love where this is going !
I hope you will get inspired by my video :slight_smile: Unreal Engine 4 [4.22] Zelda Ocarina Of Time #Update3 2019 - YouTube

You make a Zelda 1 or 2 combat system and I’m all over it! However, all that chinpokomon cutsey orcana stuff doesn’t interest me at all.

I’m interested, any updates on this?