Feature Request: Vertex paint with values over 1?

Not technically a bug, but… today i was playing with vertex paint, and noticed that i am not allowed to vertex paint with values over 1 (one solid color). The reason i ask this seemingly silly question is that if it was possible to feed it in values over 1, then we could vertex paint things like world coords and do funny stuff like offset displacement based on world location without the need of a material parameter.

I hope someone from dev, will see this and let me know if this could possibly be added to a future feature?

Hey Jonas_Molgaard,

So reading over your request this would be something that is technically possible to implement, but not very practical. The values are clamped from a 0 to 1 range for a good reason. The max value or weight is set to 1.0 so you can use this as you range when managing data types like displacement. The parameters should give you enough control over the vertex painted information.

One reason for keeping this behavior is that when you move to larger data types, you take up more memory. You can imagine if you have a large number of uniquely vertex painted meshes the memory required to call that vertex painted information could quickly get bloated and cause performance issues if you have exceedingly high values.

Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Cheers,