[FEATURE REQUEST] Property Access System Features

It looks like we have the anim graph use all ways of accessing things you can think of:

• access anim instance properties directly (set from outside during game tick)
  • access other object properties directly (set from outside during game tick)
  • access anim instance methods
  • access other object methods
  • cache some data on the anim instance during NativeUpdateAnimation and access that later both directly and through methods

It exploded because some of those were out of sync due to the above bug. The specific problem was a custom idle pose and aim offset that some other animations were designed to be relative to being activated a frame late.

Thanks for the info!

Is there anything about the data transformation that is performed in the function-based access to your cached data that is not thread-safe? I.e can those methods be marked BlueprintThreadSafe? If so then order should then be correct.

I can see that the current order of operations does preclude your use case. I’ll look to get that fixed up in a future release.

The functions appear to be accessing both cached values and values from other objects, though I am not sure why. Probably relicts from trying to get this to work that should get cleaned up.

Loving the property access system as well, but I’m looking to move some blueprint functions to a base c++ anim instance class and cannot figure out how to use property access in c++, as there is no documentation. Is this currently possible?

I’m right there with ya, SteveDaMonsta. I saw this functionality inside the Lyra framework, and I’d love to know what’s required to create functions within the property access system. I’ve been having trouble implementing procedural animation in this “thread-safe” manner.

I believe I figured it out, but there is still some unanswered questions. Checkout my other thread:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/animation-property-access-system-in-c/541917/2

Hi , Do you find how to add property access function in C++?

For example I found some property in charactermovementcomp it will add to property access in AnimBP , but when i inherited this head file , all my property and function will not add to property :face_exhaling:

Yes, I believe you do not need property access in c++. You simply do all your logic inside NativeThreadSafeUpdate. This is working fine for me without using a proxy or property access.

2 Likes