[feature request] import presets

It would be very handy to be able to save import settings to user defined presets so that when importing from different 3d authoring tools (max, blender, houdini, etc), or different types of assets (static mesh, rig animation, morph, etc), that you don’t have to remember all the options that make it work for that program or asset type.

Hi elindell,

Thank you for your request, we will take this into consideration.

I know, very old thread - but today I found myself in the same situation after searching errors. Searching the forums, I found this thread so I decided to post here instead of opening a new one on the same topic.

It would be great, if one could save import settings in templates, so that I do not have to check all settings again and again when importing data. Settings are saved in existing assets - but that’s helpful on reimport only.

In Blender, this is possible with the so called Operator Presets, and this is really extremely useful on exporting stuff. Same on the import side would make me happy - and hopefully not only me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please-we-need-it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Come on! It is a must have feature.

2 Likes

Agree, it’s must have feature - this mini game of remembering all parameters to import fbx correctly is really cumbersome.

1 Like

I am impressed to see this request here since 2015.!

What that tells me is that there must be a more effective way of importing hundreds of assets with slightly different settings?

With the amazing nanite which works on static meshes but not skeletal meshes, I’d expect teams to need this kind of tooling more and more.

So I wonder if anyone here knows of another way to handle batch imports with predefined settings? Probably a custom editor utility which has “my game’s” specific needs in mind?

Coming from unity, there was the ability to save presets, and the ability to write your own custom importer too. Custom import tools were pretty clunky in unity and I hated the instability, but it was possible and still saved time. I’d expect a similar already existing solution in unreal? Maybe not preset saving per se but at least custom c++ import code?

Ran into this route while in the wild.

This blog talks about one way to automate the asset import process in bulk.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.3/en-US/PythonAPI/class/AssetImportTask.html#unreal.AssetImportTask.options

Specifically, if we could find a good example for unreal.AssetImportTask.options, then we’d be on our way to sane bulk imports.

Unfortunately the docs just say “object”, which could be any kind of dict structure. May require some guess-n-check property names and datatypes before getting a working example.

The unreal docs are updated to unreal 5, while the article is also about unreal 4. So the mileage may vary on the provided code snippets.

It is suggested in the article to use:
AssetImportTask.set_editor_property
but that doesn’t appear on the unreal 5 docs.

I’ll post back here if I figure it out for unreal 5.

Wow okay I decided to look a little harder and ran into this other blog. This one has examples of importing a character mesh via python and configuring the aforementioned unreal.AssetImportTask.options

This has gotta be it!

So now, I’ll make a little devlog video about this once I have a working example for my project.