[FEATURE PROBLEM] Isometric camera multiple issues

I can’t be the only one noticing this but using the parallel/orthographic/isometric camera causes many issues with shadows, maps, zdepth and other glitches/bugs. To rectify this in my prototype game I use a perspective camera with a large zoom to remove perspective distortion. Upon doing this I run into new problems such as, the camera being very far from the character so shadows and other visual fx are being clipped or set to a lower quality due to the distance.

Can someone explain how the parallel camera is to be used and what the drawbacks are. I look forward to using UE4 to make an isometric, low poly game like the style adopted by Crossy Road.

Did you ever find a fix for your problem ?

And did you find any solutions?

Thanks

I did, I switched to using a normal camera with a plugin that sort of simulates what I need … ArchViz Camera (Fantastic Perspective) in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace
I know this is not what you wanted to hear though

@inedible.red

I did, I switched to using a normal camera with a plugin that sort of simulates what I need … ArchViz Camera (Fantastic Perspective) in Code Plugins - UE Marketplace
I know this is not what you wanted to hear though

Hey there, can you share your configs for the plugin to work in isometric without shadow glitches? I’m trying to get it right with Dolly Zoom and Focal Distance but it’s exactly the same as using a Spring Arm and reducing camera perspective to low FOV. Maybe I’m missing something here.

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty much the same effect, I guess it’s close enough for me. :confused: Iso camera is completely broken

1 Like