FBX import incredibly slow

I’m importing an fbx containing skeletal mesh, a bunch of morph targets and two skeletal animations. Every other app imports it in seconds, while UE5 takes up to 30 minutes (!!!).

Are there any settings that can speed that this process?

1 Like

Hello,

While there is obviously an issue here that shouldn’t be happening, the one recommendation I would have would be to treat the skeletal mesh import separately from the animation import. After all once you are past the initial asset setup you will never ever need to import both at the same time (assuming that you are iterating on the models and animations later on). So there is no real benefit in attempting to import both at the same time in the first place.

Good luck.

I’ve been importing many meshes whilst extensively testing my Daz character export system (Converted Daz3D Genesis 8.1 Figure in Unreal Engine 5: DTL Demo - YouTube)

I’ve found that there is an occasional mesh that UE just doesn’t like and suddenly a mesh with a bone and vertex count that normally takes 2 or 3 minutes to import takes half an hour or more.

I have not found out what’s gong on yet, despite searching through the UE logs and examining the ‘offending’ meshes in Maya. I’ll report back here if / when I find out what’s going on…

And it’s still not fixed. I’m importing 100 animations from Character Creator and it takes an hour already, CPU is used just 10%, and no single core is fully used. :frowning:

After 1,5 hours it just crashed on low memory error, there was still a lot of free RAM, and nothing was imported. It is so frustrating, basically everything I touched on Unreal Engine so far is broken or not working correctly. I don’t understand how somebody can build an AAA game on top of it.