I’ve released a plugin for importing user properties from FBX into Unreal.
FBX+ was originally developed by Plastic Ant for our own needs, we required the user properties and splines from the 3DS Max / Maya files transfering into the Unreal Editor via the FBX file format.
FBX+ works by creating an empty Blueprint per-imported model, within each of these Blueprints member variables are created and assigned the values from the FBX data. If any of the properties are animated FBX+ will create curves and can assign them to that model’s animation sequence and or be used within the Blueprint timeline node. The plugin also supports cameras and splines, these are created through the standard Unreal Engine Editor code and don’t require additional classes or code.
• FBX+ works along side the standard FBX importing pipeline within the Unreal Editor. All options for FBX+ will appear within the standard import panel.
• Supports all user properties from FBX.
• Supported properties are float, bool, int, string and colour properties.
• Property animations are also imported (linear, constant and cubic) currently for float, vector and colour. Animated properties are created as curves with the option to assign them to animation sequences, FBX+ can also create them for use with Blueprint Timelines if prefered…or both.
• Supports additional FBX standard properties (e.g. bounding size, wireframe enabled, visible, renderable, cast shadow).
• FBX+ will create a folder for any data created by the import to help keep the additional import data tidy.
• FBX+ will create a new blueprint for storing the FBX+ data associated with each object.
• Variables can also be imported from the 3ds Max text based user properties (from the object right click context menu) by using ‘=’ and or ‘:’ assignment.
• Works with the source builds and the offical release builds, no Engine code modification is required.
Supported FBX Nodes and their properties (more to come):
• Splines: FBX+ will create and populate Blueprints for imported splines.
• Cameras: FBX+ will create and populate Blueprints for imported cameras, imports values for DOF, aspects, look at location, projection type and more.
3DS Max FBX+ Plugin (coming soon…Maya in the future):
We’ve also developed a suite of additional FBX data plugins for 3DS Max and we intend to ship a general version with the FBXPlus Unreal Plugin soon with additional plugins for sale (e.g. Shader / material animation). They currently support note tracks, shader / material parameter animations, MassFX (PhysX) properties, audio tracks and lots more.
• Support for bone attachments as sockets.
See it in action: (earlier version, new video coming soon)
I welcome feedback, so if there’s any other data you’d like to see imported from FBX I’d be interested to hear.