FBX Animation Import Error

Hey so i have imported an mesh and it’s rigged and everything but it wont let me import the animations for it… It works for others to import the mesh and import the animations but wont work for me. Here is the error FBXImport: Error:

Animation length 4.958 is not compatible with import frame-rate 30 fps (sub frame 0.75), animation has to be frame-border aligned.
FBXImport: Error: Import failed.

6 Likes

Hello! Faced the same problem. If I understand correctly, the length of the animation should be divided by the frame rate without a trace (or something like that).
Try to set Animation Lenght - Set Range and set animation length 0 - 5
изображение

12 Likes

Hey there! thanks. I figured it out a few days ago. But its good for other people so they can find this question and help them

Hello, after updating to version 5.0.3, I encountered the same problem as you, how did you solve it? The above method does not solve the problem.

please help me its not working in UE 5.0.3

just select “Animated Time”.

6 Likes

I’m also having the same issue with UE 5.0.3 and am unable to import any FBX animations.
I was using the exact same animation with the exact same settings in UE 5.0.2 and had no issues at all.

I did some digging in the source code of UE for to see what changed between 5.0.2 and 5.0.3 and it looks like a few lines of code with an additional error check have been implemented and are causing this issue.

This is the commit that added these lines (You need to have your github account connected to epic games to be able to see this):
https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/6cc65bdab13b31e33623314f39fee19972efc788

I just sent a bug report to epic games, but it will most likely take some time for this to be fixed so I’m urgently looking for a workaround.

Setting Animation Length to ‘Animated Time’ did not work for me.
Setting it to Set Range and setting a specific number as Max did work in some cases, but I can’t seem to find the right pattern to reliable calculate the number to use here and usually just start at the full amount of frames for the animation and subtract 1 each time until I find a value that works.

1 Like

once it setting "Animated Time " worked for me but after that not working. Do you have any idea when this issue is going to be fixed.

1 Like

I’ve only experienced this error on animations that are exported as 60fps, 30fps seems to be working as a placeholder so far. Hopefully this is fixed soon…

1 Like

I found a solution for me. I was exporting animations from iClone at 24fps with a range. Lets use 1500 for an example. I imported the animation with “Set Range” in Unreal and had to take 1500, divide that by 60 (for 60fps), which is 25. Then mulitply 25 x 24 (for 24fps). I dont understand why this happens, but it works for me. Hope it helps you.

1 Like

Going to start exporting iClone animations at 60fps now, as that takes away the math and no more errors.

I’m also having an issue with this. Changing the set range to be 0-60 will work for import, but the rest of the frames would be cut off if I were to do this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!
I don’t know much about IClone, but I tried importing hand made animations at 30 fps from blender following your method of calculation, but it doesn’t quite seem to work.
Getting issues regardless of the framerate.

Sometimes I can import that way, but the second half of the animation is lost.
I really hope someone is gonna take a look at the bug report soon since this is a huge issue.

4 Likes

I tried the “set frame” trick to no avail.

It’s not a great workaround but I imported into 4.XX and then open a copy in UE5 (which would only work for new projects). Could probably also migrate from 4 to 5 if you are in the middle of a project.

2 Likes

Found a solution! I have an animation 0-390 frames with 30fps. Tried to set range 0-390, 0-389. Don’t work. But 0-380 works fine! I think you should decrease the range for 2-3 frames.

1 Like

Figured out a solution for me! Make sure to click “Use default sample rate”, or, specify your animation FPS as the sample rate. Then, select “animated time” when importing.

1 Like

Okay so actually there are two things:

1. Decide on your FPS. I chose 30.
  2. Make sure the number of frames in your animation divided by your FPS is an integer. E.g 1 frame / 30 FPS is a decimal.
  3. Make sure when you input your FPS/sample rate is set to what you intended.
2 Likes

This is a good workaround for many animations but it does cut off part of the animation. In my case this is unfortunately not a solution as it produces a very jarring jump in my animation loop.

A solution for this.
Tick of “Use Default Sample Rate”.
Set on “custom Sample rate” your import rate, 60 in my case.
???
PROFIT
image (1)

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply, however in my case this didn’t work either.