Fatal Error when trying to open project level

[2024.02.21-17.26.43:734][857]LogWindows: Error: appError called: Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\Templates\Casts.cpp] [Line: 10]
Cast of Actor /Game/Castle.Castle:PersistentLevel.Actor_UAID_04421AF10E1219D701_1322753652 to MetaData failed

Unreal Engine Version 5.3.1 (original issue occurred)
Upgraded to 5.3.2 (upgrading didn’t fix)

What I know is my file started acting odd when trying to play with mesh/vertex paint for an object.

the world went dim with no change to lighting.

I closed out without saving and tried to open. I was able to load the project but not the level, Just kept getting the error above.

I’ve gotten a few different actor codes saying MetaData failed. They all seem to be attached to USD imported scenes.

I’ve tried to reload/reimport all materials as well as the USD files themselves. I even made a copy of the project, deleted all the USD files if somehow they are all corrupt.

nothing is working.

Not sure if I’m on the right path, if there’s any known issue with mesh/vertex painting USD assets? And is there any way to salvage this level data if I’m unable to load it?

Thank you in advance if you’re able to help.

Unless someone here knows EXACTLY what’s going on, I would suggest that you:

1. Start a new project.
  2. Migrate this project there.

If the issue persists:

1. Migrate, ONE BY ONE, each folder from this project and see if you can open the new project after each migration.
  2. Upon encountering the program files/folders, you may have to manually delete them outside of Unreal… and that is perilous for the rest of your project.

Another Item of note:

I attempted to replicate the issue on a new project…

Loaded in a single USD asset into a level. The project doesn’t crash but gives me the same crash error/report when I ‘X’ out of unreal. Still lets me open the project and level though.

Not sure why it would give me a fatal error upon close but still let me open the project but seems the error itself is related to the USD assets.

I’m at a loss. I tried migrating folder by folder from the External Actors folder tree out of the corrupted level. Isolated 3 folders that crashed the level immediately, the rest I was able to migrate individually without crash. However there seemed to be a critical mass of the other folders that i could migrate over before crashing the new level.

all resulting in that same error message.

Maybe some connecting root problem that several actors are referenced to that compounds until it breaks. odd behavior though.

1 Like

The error received is the same as the original you posted above?

I’m unsure of the setup of your project, so I do not know what the common referenced object(s) may be.

This is a tough one.