Fatal Error when trying to compile (Linking Error LNK1104)

At the moment I am receiving this error:

Error LNK1104 cannot open file
‘C:\Users\brain\Documents\Unreal
Projects\StruggleOfMages\Intermediate\Build\Win64\StruggleOfMages\Development\UE4Editor-StruggleOfMages.dll.response’

It pops up when I package my project, close the editor and try to compile the code again (in VS 2015). When I rebuild my project (Build → Rebuild “Project”), it works all fine… until the next time I package, close the editor and try to compile.

Does somebody have any suggestions?

Hello ,

I have a few questions for you about this.

1. Does this happen only with your project or does the same occur with fresh projects?
  2. You mention that you’re using Visual Studio 2015. Are you using a source-compiled version following the steps listed here? UE4 and Visual Studio 2015 - C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums
  3. Have you tried using Visual Studio 2013? Even in a source-built version of the engine, our support for 2015 is currently still experimental and could be causing issues such as this.

Hey … sry but the problem still persists.

1. It does not happen with a fresh C++ project.
  2. My UE4 is not a source version, but a version from the launcher compiled with VS
  3. It does also happen with VS 2013…

Seeing as it seems to be related to the code in your project, would it be possible for you to upload a copy of your project so that I can reproduce the issue locally? If you wish for the project to be private, you can send the link in a private message on our [forums][1].

Thanks for your response. I’ve sent you a PM.

Thank you for sending me the project. Unfortunately I’m not having any luck reproducing the issue. I did originally get an error when trying to package the project but that disappeared after rebuilding. After that I was able to package and then able to compile directly after. Are you making any changes to the code between packaging and compiling? Otherwise, without selecting rebuild, the code shouldn’t be attempting to build in the first place as it will detect that no changes have been made.

Well, it only happens sometimes. I have the feeling that it might be my PC. Because when the complie-error happens and I try to execute the packaged project right after the error, the game crashes with an array assertion error. When I restart my PC, the same packaged project works fine.

Hello ,

Can you post the callstack and/or logs for the crash related to the array assertion error that you’re getting? Also, was the editor successfully compiled before packaging?

Hello ,

We haven’t heard from you in a while. Are you still experiencing this issue? If so, can you leave a comment with your callstack/logs from the crash you’re receiving? I’ll be setting this issue as resolved for tracking purposes in the meantime.