Fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'tbbmalloc.lib

I get this error when packaging a specific blueprint-only project after updating it to 4.10:
fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file ‘tbbmalloc.lib’

Full log.

Edit1: It seems like I only get this error on this project. I’ve made a sample project in 4.10, packaged it, and it all worked. But this project is still unable to be packaged. How can I fix this?

Edit2: Converting this project back to 4.9 makes the whole project crash when trying to open it in Unreal Engine.

One interesting line in the log:

Visual C++ 2015 toolchain does not appear to be correctly installed. Please verify that “Common Tools for Visual C++ 2015” was selected when installing Visual Studio 2015.

I’ve not used the 2015 toolchain myself, but is that error message helpful? The build process falls back on the 2013 toolchain - do you even have that installed?

Before UE 4.10, Visual Studio was never required to package my project, but when I tried to package my project for the first time in 4.10 I got a message that said that I needed to install Visual Studio 2013 and after that I thought it would be a good idea to install Visual Studio 2015 as well.

After the installation of VS2013 was done I tried to install VS2015 but the installer started to break so I made the installer stop via the task manager.

Then I tried to package the game again but got this error. I repaired VS2015 and this time the installer worked better. Tried to package the game again and I still am getting this error. At first I thought my VS was still broken but then I tried making a sample project and packaging did work on that one.

So yes, I do have Visual Studio 2015 and 2013 installed.

Sorry for the continued hassle - can you post the log for the sample project that you can compile? I want to figure out what version of VS it’s using.

Don’t be sorry man, I’m happy with any help I can get!


The issue appears to be that in the case of MinigameMadness, the project is no longer blueprint only.

In the broken case:

ProjectGameExeFilename=C:\Users\Enrico\Documents\Unreal Projects\MinigameMadness\Binaries\Win64\MinigameMadness.exe

In the working case:

ProjectGameExeFilename=C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.10\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Game.exe

Did you recently make any changes to the uproject that might have made it a code project?

Your VS2015 install is still not working, and it looks like there is some problem with the 2013 install as well. Those issues are likely independent of your engine version change.

I don’t think I did, can I change it back to blueprint-only?

I’ve now uninstalled Visual Studio 2013 community and installed Visual Studio 2013 Express. The packaging went better(?) but I got this error:

Different than last time but still something with “tbbmalloc.lib”

I hope this log will help to fix the problem… I’m going insane trying to fix this problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for continuing to investigate! Our server issues ate one of my replies, but it was pretty speculative.

Is the tbbmalloc.lib file actually present in your Engine/Source/ThirdParty/IntelTBB/IntelTBB-4.0/Lib/Win64/vc12 directory?

This is a partial answer, more details in the thread above.

The 4.10 release does not include the .lib you need to compile your project with Visual Studio 2013. It’s very likely that your project became a code project sometime prior to conversion from 4.9 to 4.10, but things worked because we were providing all the libraries needed by your compiler out of the box. With the 4.10 release you need a working Visual Studio 2015 install (as mentioned in the release notes - from the launcher we only support 2015, as supporting both would bloat the download).

I think the quickest way to get yourself up and running is to get 2015 correctly installed. Alternatively you can compile the source yourself (see instructions on github).

I don’t know much about turning a source-based project back into a content only (blueprint) project. I think that behavior is governed by your .uproject file, so you could ask a second question specifically about the contents of your .uproject file and get some clarification on that front. It would be great to have better documentation on this front, but it involves a lot of moving parts (plugins, source code you write, project settings, optimizations, etc).

I’ve reinstalled the program multiple times and it is still not working.


I’ve also found this post, where someone has issues cooking games with webbrowsers. I also have the experimental webbrowser plugin enabled in my game. Could this be the cause of the problems? And also the reason why my blueprint-only project became a code project in the first place?

All these issues were solved by disabling the webbrowser plugin and deleting all blueprints, widgets, etc containing webbrowsers. Webbrowsers are an experimental plugin after all.

I was having the same issue. I solved it by copying the Epic Games/4.9/Engine/Source/ThirdParty/IntelTBB/IntelTBB-4.0/Lib/Win64/vc12 directory to Epic Games/4.10/Engine/Source/ThirdParty/IntelTBB/IntelTBB-4.0/Lib/Win64/

Just for reference, it’s crazy, but I had to turn off some other experimental plugin in 4.10.4 for it package, then cook. Thank you for the hint! Good luck to everyone stuck with those obscure odd bugs.

Glad this post helped you!

I love you man! I had the same problem and the solution was to uninstall plugins in the version…
Very thank you!!!

Glad my post helped ya out!