Download

Fatal error issue - project keeps crashing on laptop

Hi, im trying to work on my project using my gaming laptop, so have saved the project to a portable SSD, but when trying to open it on the laptop im getting a fatal error message>

Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/GenericPlatform/GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 197] Ran out of memory allocating 268435456 bytes with alignment 0

What does thisd mean, does this to the GPU ram not being enough? (it’s an RX 580 (4gb)

heres the crash log
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1d8lFF0bPEQbEshYe80aCxoQKJ1zNQWOT?usp=sharing

well you are using 8k textures, no way your gpu vram will handle that.
ue4 can compensate with your ram but to a limit like +1-2gb.

1 Like

ah ok, the 8k textures are just a bunch of decals which I can swap out. So i guess that was pretty obvious was causing the issue from the crash log? - dont supose you could point me to where in the log these textures are referred to?

you can do ctrl+f 8k to find these textures.
Also at the end of the log it show how much memory it consumed both ram and vram where vram is for gpu.

1 Like

thank you, i can see them now. I dont supose there’s a quick way to restrict them being used? - like rather than go in and swap them out, perhaps I could set all textures to be capped at 4k, or at an even lower resolution?

yup there is, you can filter your content browser for displaying all textures, for yours you can just search 8k, then select all, do this:

In the window grid, ctrl+A to select all, then set it max resolution:

1 Like

Super helpful stuff, thank you!

Have just tried this now, and am getting this - i.e no option for Bulk Edit via Property Matrix. IM using 4.26, will only later versions allow me to do this? - maybe there’s a different way on other versions?

you need to select only the textures and not materials.
You should also do your own research like how to use bulk edit or when was it introduced via google search else am not really helping you.

1 Like

Dude im having the exact same problem and i dont know what to do cuz i cant open the proyect anymore

Fatal error: [File:D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/GenericPlatform/GenericPlatformMemory.cpp] [Line: 197] Ran out of memory allocating 58192596256 bytes with alignment 0

here is the crash log
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CsVFaOhBxdhYtqGJHFyHkuBd1HKpwubm/view?usp=sharing

Check how to properly delete the stuff inside saved directory that gets processed at launch - like engine settings and such.

Getting the engine to recompile everything should undo whatever change you accidentally made that won’t let the editor open for the project.

And / or, change the map that the editor opens on launch. If you had set that up.

your google drive log is locked anyway.
Just read the log at the end and look for any hint that eating that amount of vram.
A dirty job you could do is to delete the affected asset from your project folder and make a copy of your project before. Not sure if that gonna work but could give a try.