Failure to cook template geometry Houdini and City Processor

When trying to follow this guide: City Sample Quick Start for Generating a City and Freeway using Houdini | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation

I get an error during step 8 and cannot figure what is causing it. The error message is below. I have also include a SS of my Geometry Graph. Any help would be appreciated.

Error Message:
Error
Invalid source /obj/geo1/processor1/LOTS/foreach_end43
Error: Failure to cook template geometry…

3 Likes

I am getting the same ERROR. Have you figured it out as to why?

I have the same issue, it seems to me that the script is too old and never got updated for a newer version of houdini. Unless we’re all missing a fundamental step. (tested on Houdini 18.5.408 on Linux)

Hello, I’m having the same issue over and over and I have no clue how to go about trouble shooting this. I’ve tried with different parameters in layout node but still no luck. Has anyone managed to solve this?

I have gotten the same error. I have tried using the recommended version that City sample was created for and now even in 19 it fails at the same spot. Tracing the error it shows that it does not have access to read the BDF_Data.bgeo which is under the Freeway construction part of the Houdini script to cook. But it should have read access as i have my project set to that folder. I know City Sample had an update like 3 months ago, not sure if the code got changed.
tempsnip

It looks like these might be problem areas?

Hey Guys found another post made some changes like i posted here and my city appeared. Hopefully this helps someone:

Hi guys! I had the same issue and had it resolved just now.

Copy the content inside SMALL_CITY/houdini folder DIRECTLY INTO MyCity folder. For sanity I kept both the folder and the content inside this houdini folder in MyCity. I guess the content itself is enough.

Previously I didn’t create freeway curve and freeway util attributes. It turns out that this step CANNOT be skipped or you’ll have something like "Error Invalid source /obj/geo1/processor1/LOTS/foreach_end6. For this I saw your geometry doesn’t skip but it is a potential pitfall.

I’m using the latest Houdini and following closely to this tutorial: Part1:Generate your own procedural City with Houdini and Unreal Engine 5 - YouTube
Tutorial is clearer than text & picture.

Hope things work out for you!

Make sure your curve lines are not messing with your project, I disconnected one of the curves from the merge which connects to the arterial splines and I still had a warning sign displayed, then once I clicked process city base it started to work.

I did this and I still get
Error
Invalid source /obj/geo1/processor1/LOTS/foreach_end43.
(Error: Failure to cook template geometry.).

I’ve copied the files from houdini and it still does
Error
Invalid source /obj/geo1/processor1/LOTS/foreach_end43.
(Error: Failure to cook template geometry.).

Yes, as I found - you need to copy all files and folders inside Small_City/houdini/ to your project folder. I could see the city shape after that but still get this error if my city shape is non-rectangular (if I make my curves extra smooth or change some properties like density).

Check if your city curve is big enough.

Found this error in the City processor:

Error Invalid source [/obj/Small_City/processor1/LOTS/BGEO_DATA_WRANGLING/file3](node:/obj/Small_City/processor1/LOTS/BGEO_DATA_WRANGLING/file3).
(Error: Unable to read file "Small_City/houdini/otls/BGEO_Data/BDF_Data.bgeo".

But the Linux path is: Small_City/houdini/otls/BGEO_data/
Looks like folder case is invalid. It’s not critical for Windows but is for Unix.

After creating a symlink I could render default Small_City.hip and Small_City_Freeway.hip