Failing to build for Nvidia Shield Portable

Hi there, so I’ve actually had this problem for quite a while. I can’t launch or package to my Nvidia Shield Portable, ever since… a long time ago, like 4.3. Then I never bothered for a while

But when I went to try a month ago, it wouldn’t work. Either with my game that worked before, or a brand new template - neither will work. Before you had to follow a long process, which I did, but it still wouldn’t build even after that.

I saw 4.10 said it added support by default for my Shield Portable, but it still didn’t work after this update. I think this is where I’m going wrong, but I don’t know how to fix it. I’ve tried reinstalling Android Works.

" ERROR: Exception in UnrealBuildTool: ERROR: E:\Programs\Tegra Android Pack\android-ndk-r10e/ndk-build.cmd failed with args APP_ABI="armeabi-v7a " NDK_DEBUG=1 "

After that it has tons of errors.

Anyone have any advice? I am having a lot of trouble with this

Hi Pinworm,

I would need to see more of the log; the line you listed doesn’t actually show what is wrong.

I can paste the entire thing somewhere, but I’ve encountered more problems along the way. Or, gotten closer to what I suspect is the root rather

For whatever reason, nomatter how many times I uninstall and reinstall, Visual Studio REFUSES to show up. When I try and compile UE4 from Git, I get the error that I have no valid installation.

This is also what I believe lead to an error during the android works installation… im not sure if that’s even still needed with 4.10 but the point is I don’t have either Visual Studio nor 1 package of Android Works / Tegra Dev Kit installed, and I think that’s probably the root cause of this.

So I need to figure out why Visual Studio won’t install… Because it is installing it, it’s saying it’s complete, but it’s not being detected properly

Okay so I fixed my Visual Studio install problem, and I reinstalled Tegra Android Works (installed ALL the things). That all worked.

But on launch I now get this:

LogPlayLevel: BUILD FAILED
PackagingResults:Error: Error Launch failed! Missing UE4Game binary.
You may have to build the UE4 project with your IDE. Alternatively, build using UnrealBuildTool with the commandline:
UE4Game <Platform> <Configuration>

I should note that the version I’m using of UE4 ISN’T the compiled one from git, as I thought 4.10 made it so it just works, but I guess not, so I went to go compile it. Before I couldn’t compile because Visual Studio wasn’t installed. I get passed that now but get the error

“Setting up Unreal Engine 4 project files…
Android debugging may not be available (requires Visual Studio max version of 2013, use ‘-2013’ to override.)”

Adding -2013 doesn’t fix it, although I don’t have VS 2013 installed… however I am using the latest version of Android Works which the update notes said work with 2015. I can’t even find 2013 to install, I guess I could try…

Any ideas? :confused:

I remember around like 4.5 I somehow got a game on my shield without doing any of this and it ran flawless… now I can’t get it at all. Very frustrating, hopefully I can get this fixed

This is so frustrating I’m just having one problem after the other and I don’t even know if I’m doing anything right… why do I have to redownload and recompile the editor to make this work… I never did this before and it worked fine. This is so frustrating

Hi Pinworm,

The binary build from the launcher should have this prebuilt for you. Look in Engine/Binaries/Android for UE4Game-Android-Shipping-armv7-es2.so and UE4Game-armv7-es2.so.

Hello, thanks for the help

I’ve tried to deal with this again but I am still getting errors, however, I am only getting this error with my main project now. I tried making a new Twin Stick Shooter project and it worked to send to my Shield, when last time that wouldn’t work.

However, my main project fails with this error;

LogPlayLevel: Project.CopyBuildToStagingDirectory: ********** STAGE COMMAND STARTED **********
LogPlayLevel: BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationScripts.Automation: Stage Failed. Missing receipt ‘VoidBetween-Android-Development.target.xml’. Check that this target has been built.
LogPlayLevel: Stacktrace: at Project.CreateDeploymentContext(ProjectParams Params, Boolean InDedicatedServer, Boolean DoCleanStage)
LogPlayLevel: at Project.CopyBuildToStagingDirectory(ProjectParams Params)
LogPlayLevel: at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params)
LogPlayLevel: at BuildCommand.Execute()
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary1 Commands)
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine)
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param)
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Action`1 Main, Object Param)
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Program.Main()
LogPlayLevel: ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=Error_MissingExecutable
LogPlayLevel: Domain_ProcessExit
LogPlayLevel: copying UAT log files…
LogPlayLevel: RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Build Task, Time: 2.254902
LogStats:Warning: MetaData mismatch. Did you assign a stat to two groups? New //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_4b38_0///####STATCAT_Advanced#### old //STATGROUP_Threads//FLauncherTask///Thread_2180_0///####STATCAT_Advanced####
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Deploy Task, Time: 0.000038
PackagingResults:Error: Error Launch failed! Missing UE4Game binary.
You may have to build the UE4 project with your IDE. Alternatively, build using UnrealBuildTool with the commandline:
UE4Game <Platform> <Configuration>

Can I fix this? I’m not sure why it’s erroring for my main project but not for new ones.

It looks like it did not build your code project for Android. Are you using package or launch? Launch can be set to build code projects in the Advanced Settings in the Play submenu; it may be set to never build.

I was indeed using launch and it was indeed set to never build. Thanks! I’ve changed that and am launching now, hopefully that’ll do the trick.

Edit: Nope :frowning: I get this now. I start the copy where I get the first error:

LogPlayLevel: UnrealBuildTool: UnrealBuildTool Exception: ERROR: cmd.exe failed with args /c “H:\Programs\apache-ant-1.8.2/bin/ant.bat” debug
LogPlayLevel: CommandUtils.Run: Run: Took 65.9984529s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
LogPlayLevel: BuildCommand.Execute: ERROR: BUILD FAILED
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: ERROR: AutomationTool terminated with exception:
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: ERROR: Exception in AutomationUtils.Automation: Command failed (Result:5): C:\Program Files (x86)\Epic Games\4.10\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe VoidBetween Android Development H:\Unreal\VoidBetween\VoidBetween.uproject -remoteini=“H:\Unreal\VoidBetween” -noxge -rocket -NoHotReloadFromIDE -ignorejunk. See logfile for details: ‘UnrealBuildTool-2015.12.08-19.55.40.txt’
LogPlayLevel: Stacktrace: at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunAndLog(String App, String CommandLine, String Logfile, Int32 MaxSuccessCode, String Input, ERunOptions Options, Dictionary2 EnvVars) LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.CommandUtils.RunUBT(CommandEnvironment Env, String UBTExecutable, String CommandLine, String LogName, Dictionary2 EnvVars)
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.UE4Build.BuildWithUBT(String ProjectName, String TargetName, UnrealTargetPlatform TargetPlatform, String Config, String UprojectPath, Boolean ForceMonolithic, Boolean ForceNonUnity, Boolean ForceDebugInfo, Boolean ForceFlushMac, Boolean DisableXGE, String InAddArgs, Boolean ForceUnity, Dictionary2 EnvVars) LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.UE4Build.Build(BuildAgenda Agenda, Nullable1 InDeleteBuildProducts, Boolean InUpdateVersionFiles, Boolean InForceNoXGE, Boolean InUseParallelExecutor, Boolean InForceNonUnity, Boolean InForceUnity, Boolean InShowProgress, Dictionary2 PlatformEnvVars) LogPlayLevel: at Project.Build(BuildCommand Command, ProjectParams Params, Int32 WorkingCL) LogPlayLevel: at BuildCookRun.DoBuildCookRun(ProjectParams Params) LogPlayLevel: at BuildCommand.Execute() LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Automation.Execute(List1 CommandsToExecute, CaselessDictionary1 Commands) LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Automation.Process(String] CommandLine) LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Program.MainProc(Object Param) LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.InternalUtils.RunSingleInstance(Action1 Main, Object Param)
LogPlayLevel: at AutomationTool.Program.Main()
LogPlayLevel: ProcessManager.KillAll: Trying to kill 0 spawned processes.
LogPlayLevel: Program.Main: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=5
LogPlayLevel: Domain_ProcessExit
LogPlayLevel: copying UAT log files…
LogPlayLevel: RunUAT.bat ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Build Task, Time: 69.378813
PackagingResults:Error: Error Launch failed! Unknown Error

The actual error should be higher up. It looks like an issue occurred while ant was running. As a shortcut, you can run “ant debug” from the project’s Intermediate/Android/APK directory and look at the output.

Hmm I don’t seem to have “ant debug” in that folder, unless you mean it’s an action I need to do (It’s probably pretty obvious by now but I am hopeless when it comes to coding and the like)

Open a command prompt in the APK folder and type in “ant debug”; AndroidWorks should have added ant to your PATH.