Failed to open map file. This is most likely because the map was saved with a newer version of the e

I need possible solutions to this error asap, I don’t have a back up for 2 weeks now and this is something im supposed to have done Monday I was literally in process of starting the final rendering 5 minutes before writing this I reopened my project and got this error now it wont open, this is a serious project I have been working on for months I cant afford to redo all that work in time for Monday, this is second time unreal engine has been unreliable for contracts. If anyone has any solutions please let me know, thanks.

This is probably because you are trying to open the map in lower version of Engine than the one in which it was created. Again this may happen in cases in which you opened your project in higher engine version and now trying to open with the lower version. Try with the new version and you will be able to open the map. Always keep the backup.

With all due respect, we can’t blame Unreal for our mistakes. If you have installed multiple Engine versions make sure to organize your work based on the engine version. You can move the Project/Map from a lower version to higher engine version but not vice-versa.

ive only had version 4.12 so this isn’t possible.

Are you really sure you have never ever saved this map with a newer 4.12+ or higher?
Because that’s the only way you will see the error message you get…

yes 100% ive never installed another version other then 4.12 I heard this can happen from crashes but my project and my computer never crashed I simply closed the project, 5 minutes later opened the project and got this message.

This is really sad; may be a corrupted map file (due to HDD error)… and maps are binary assets :confused:

I looked in back up I see a uasset from a few days ago how can I restore using this??

Just copy and paste it from there into your Content Folder, but rename it so it doesnt overwrite anything, it should show up in content browser then

[QUOTE=Orkney;692093]
Just copy and paste it from there into your Content Folder, but rename it so it doesnt overwrite anything, it should show up in content browserlol wait what does that do? I copied it all it did was put an asset on my content browser how do I restore the map? I don’t see any map back up filees just assets

Close the Editor, then copy the renamed map file to your Content folder; then re open the Editor, the map you’ve moved to Content folder should now be visible in Browser panel.

Thanks managed to get back up from week ago gonna be a long weekend aha

Thanks, Helped a lot!

my computer Unexpected shutdown,and it happen…

Check if your editor is open twice and one editor keeps the other instance from saving.
There is a backup / saved folder in your project with autosaves for cases like this. Close your editor. Rename your corrupted level to *_old. Then copy the latest auto save level into the same directory and rename it to the original level name. A few things may be missing depending on when it was saved.

I had an experience About it,the full process is that unreal editor close due to accident,I may not remember it clearly,unreal editor was saving,and some reseaon force it to close,you know,the unreal editor was saving map,or say saving level,and something force it to close,the level file or say the map file will be damaged,it shouldn’t happen,because you know,you want to save a file,you just copy it,and paste it,process may be that when it is covering previous file,and the savesystem is closed due to accident,so the process of covering is interrupted by accident,and cover file event has happened,previous file is deleted,and file you want to save is occupy position of previous file,but the file is corrupt,because the process of pasting file has been interrupted,so,you know,unreal editor has such a bad process,you may unavoid such a process,because it happened to me,so,you know,the one of overcoming methods is backups,you just need to back up the folder called “content”,its full path is “ProjectName\Content”,the file size of “Content” is not very big,because it only contains some digital assets.

Unreal creates backup files in your project folder: MyProject/Saved/Autosave/
Replace the one that is corrupt with the latest saved file. You need to rename the file obviously.

1 Like

Thanks,when I encounter this situation in the future,I will try the solution you provided.