Failed to locate 'instruments' error when trying to launch on iPhone

I’m trying to launch an app on iPhone 11 (iOS 15.1) with 4.27 Engine. Xcode version 13.1, macOS 11.6.

The error I’m getting is:

LogPlayLevel: ********** RUN COMMAND STARTED **********
LogPlayLevel: Starting Client....
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Deploy Task, Time: 985.598180
LogPlayLevel: Running: /usr/bin/env /usr/bin/instruments -w '00008030-0015255834D1802E' -t 'Activity Monitor' -D "/Volumes/external_drive/ue_projects/MyApp/Saved/StagedBuilds/IOS/launch.trace" 'com.company.MyApp'
LogPlayLevel: Error: instruments: error: Failed to locate 'instruments'.
LogPlayLevel: xcode-select: Failed to locate 'instruments', requesting installation of command line developer tools.
LogPlayLevel: Deleting /Volumes/external_drive/ue_projects/MyApp/Saved/StagedBuilds/IOS/launch.trace
LogPlayLevel: Error: ERROR: Client exited with error code: 72
LogPlayLevel: (see /Users/username/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/Log.txt for full exception trace)
LogPlayLevel: AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=1 (Error_Unknown)
LogPlayLevel: Completed Launch On Stage: Run Task, Time: 6.669924
LogPlayLevel: Error: RunUAT ERROR: AutomationTool was unable to run successfully.
PackagingResults: Error: Launch failed! Unknown Error

This prompts a “command line tools install” dialog, which I accept and install the tools. But the error re-appears again.

Quick search points me into this which makes me think that 4.27 is not updated to use Xcode 13 properly (use xcrun instead of deprecated instruments). Are my attempts futile here?

PS. Meantime, trying to expand Xcode 12.5.1 downloaded from developer.apple but this also fails for me so far…

Here is a github commit that fixes your issue: https://github.com/Ereliath/UnrealEngine/commit/dbaa3f17b740a6fcddc4122c28ff1bbd3ee01034

Either wait for 4.27.2 or if you’re running custom engine build just implement the changes directly yourself! :slight_smile:

1 Like