Failed to load descriptor file on launc

Hello,

I was trying out my game on mobile today and after messing a little bit with packaging I eventually ended up getting this error every time I try to launch my game on mobile. It will crash and the error message says "Failed to load descriptor file '../../MyProject.uproject'

Launching the game through the Project Launcher window works fine, but using just launch results in the said error. I tried to “soft reset” my project by deleting the Binaries, Intermediate and Saved folders but that didn’t help either.

Can someone tell me what’s causing this?

Howdy Swiftle,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I am going to need a bit more information before I begin investigating what you are seeing., What version of UE4 would you be using and is that build a binary build or a source build of the engine? Are you able to replicate this issue on a blank template project? Would you be able to attach the full build log to this post?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

Hello,

I’m sorry for my late reply. Here’s the info you requested. I’m using 4.7.3 Source version. I tried to replicate it on a new project and I was able to launch it by using only the launch button, so I guess that means that I was unable to replicate it. I’m attaching a .txt file with the build log. link text. It happened yesterday while I was messing with the platform settings for android. I changed the minimum SDK version, ticked the “package data inside .apk” and changed the orientation. However I reverted all the changes I made and the issue is still there. I haven’t touched anything related to packaging. As I said it doesn’t make any sense to me because I can launch it fine with the Project Launcher Tool but when I only use Launch I get the error.

Let me know if you require any additional information.

Hi Swiftle,

Thank you for the additional information. Would be able to share a couple of screenshots to show how your Android SDK and you Android Settings are currently set? This would give me the best chance at replicating the issue internally.

Hello, here are the screenshots you requested. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hey Swiftle,

I have just attempted another repro of this issue and have been unsuccessful in seeing any errors. Would you be able to share this project that is causing errors for you? This seems like it may be the only way that I may be able to repro this issue.

If you would like, you can send them to me privately via the forums. Here is a link to my page: https://forums.unrealengine.com/member.php?4890-Sean-Gribbin

Howdy Swiftle,

Thank you for sharing your project. I have open the project in the 4.7.3 source build of UE4 and have hit no errors. The only changes i made was to enable the “Enabled data inside .apk” checkbox. Would you be able to create a new project and then transfer over the content from the shared project into the new one created?

This may help to clear up the error. Be sure to let me know how this testing goes.

Thanks!

Hello

When I check this box I got a different type of error CDO Constructor ... failed to find. If I understand correctly this comes from all the class/object finders I use. I will try to create a new project and migrate my work but this will probably take me some time.

Hey Swiftle,

Just wanted to confirm that you are using the Launch on feature via the toolbar in the editor when you are seeing this error. Would this be correct? I used that button and am currently unable to see any errors.

What device would you be deploying to?

Thanks!

Hello,

This is indeed how I try to launch my game. I’m trying to deploy on an HTC One M7.

Would you be able to replicate this issue in version 4.7.4? There have been many fixes for packaging and want to check and see if perhaps this issue has been resolved.

Thanks and have a great day.

Hello

I just tried to launch the project again and this time it works. Seems like 4.7.4 fixed the issue.

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved with the new hotfix. If you experience this issue in a later build, please feel free to reopen this issue so that I may be able to further investigate.