Failed to generate project model definition files for the project file ionic

Grabbed a version from here Linux - Unreal Engine
Followed instructions from here Installing Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.0 Documentation

Editor itself works fine, but when i open rider it says

/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Binaries/ThirdParty/DotNet/Linux/sdk/3.1.401/Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(2084,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "Ionic.Zip.Reduced". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors. [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
Platform/Android/AndroidAARHandler.cs(13,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Ionic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
Platform/IOS/IOSToolChain.cs(14,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Ionic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
Platform/IOS/IOSToolChain.cs(15,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Ionic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
Platform/Mac/MacToolChain.cs(11,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Ionic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
Platform/Mac/UEDeployMac.cs(10,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Ionic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
Platform/TVOS/TVOSToolChain.cs(13,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Ionic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
Platform/TVOS/TVOSToolChain.cs(14,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Ionic' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) [/media/toshiba-hdd/programs/Linux_Unreal_Engine_5.0.3/Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj]
GenerateProjectFiles ERROR: Failed to build UnrealBuildTool

4 Likes

I have exactly this problem with the new binary version! were you able to fix it?

Hello,

I also hit this issue and have managed to work around it. It seems like the Path to the library is wrong in the UnrealBuildTool.csproj definition.

Iā€™m not sure where the fault lies here. The Unreal devs seemed to have specified the wrong path, or put the resulting binary in the wrong location. But the fact that Rider is seeming to try and build UBT seems wrong when using the binary distribution of the engine.

1. Open the file ./Engine/Source/Programs/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.csproj in a text editor
  2. Change the <HintPath> attribute for the library from:
<HintPath>..\..\..\Binaries\DotNET\Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll</HintPath>

to:

<HintPath>..\..\..\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\Ionic.Zip.Reduced.dll</HintPath>

Restart Rider and UnrealBuildTool should work correctly.

4 Likes

Thanks ! Indeed the path was wrong. Unfortunately I still get a

Failed to generate project model definition files for the project file.

in Rider

Oh interesting. Do you still get the same message about Ionic being missing or is it a different error this time?

Not with ionic but my issue looked a bit similar. I disabled all plugins causing issues. Openend the project with Rider, built everything, then opened the project with Unreal Editor and re-activated plugins I needed

This was lifesaver.