"Failed to find player start" crash

Every build I push results in this error when I try to change maps or reload the same map via console command(the player spawns fine the first time I launch the exe):

LogWindows: === Critical error: ===
Fatal error: [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.9\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\UnrealEngine.cpp] [Line: 9650]
Couldn’t spawn player: Failed to find PlayerStart

I first noticed this error in builds after adding a new map. Removing that map from the build did not fix the problem however. Using 4.9.2 and Win7. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Tried moving project to 4.10.1, still getting same error.

Hey DavidBowie,

Are you able to reproduce this issue in a blank template project like First or Third Person Template? If you can get this issue to reproduce in a blank project, or if you are able to send the .exe with the issue occurring that could help me report the issue or help you find a fix.

I just attempted to reproduce this issue in a new third person blueprint project, but was unable to get the same critical error to appear.

If you have other questions please let me know.

Cheers,

I believe it had something to do with me loading right into my level, and it not having had time to put a player spawn down. When I added a level select menu, this problem went away.

I got the log “LogGameMode: FindPlayerStart: PATHS NOT DEFINED or NO PLAYERSTART with positive rating” followed by a fatal error. But, it turns out that the fatal error is unrelated and that my above “error” message is harmless.

Check in your Game Mode to see that you are not unintentionally overriding one of the many Start functions.