Factory Facade Lighting - Unreal Lighting Challenge Submission

Project: Factory Facade
Unreal Engine 5.0.1
Student Submission: No

Hi, my name is Arthor Yang and I’ve been a lighting artist for around 8 years. Super excited to see that Epic is hosting this amazing lighting challenge since I’ve been an UE user for a couple of years, also because there aren’t many lighting challenges, so glad to be here and join everyone.

I was inspired by the UNSEEN GAMES short video filmed by Liam Wong, the industrial part looks amazing so I decided to make something like that.
Video link if you’re interested: https://youtu.be/wQm-uIAkseY?t=43

I made this scene based on Factory Environment Collection by Denys Rutkovskyi from the marketplace(yes, I got it from the Free For The Month event lol), rebuilt the factory facade using all the assets within this amazing project, created lighting effect for this scene and made this video with Sequencer.

I was also using UE5 which is super handy while lighting it, my way was pretty straight forward, since I’m not creating a game so I wasn’t really holding back putting tons of lights into the scene, and thanks to the powerful Lumen, I was really enjoying tweaking the indirect lighting and soft shadow as will, volumetric fog is another strong weapon to achieve the look of layers, other than these, I only tweaked the convolution bloom, chromatic alberation, film grain and very little touch on the color grading.

Progress of this project:

I hope you like my work and most of all, hope you all enjoy this challenge.

Thank you!

19 Likes

Greetings @AskaArthorZ !

You’ve been a lighting artist for quite some time! What sparked your interest in lighting? Is your lighting art solely expressed digitally or do you also do real world lighting?

I believe adding the volumetric fog to a scene such as this was a splendid idea! I gives it that factory feel of steam, gas, chemicals, and smog while also giving you the intended layering effect. Wishing you the best of luck in all your endeavors!

1 Like

Great job pal! Really stunning!

2 Likes

Woah! Absolutely fantastic.
Excellent work.

1 Like

Oooof thanks a lot Tom, glad you like it, love your work too, it was mindblowing when I saw it!

Thank you! I’ve been working for digital lighting for years and I love this job cos I’m always fascinated with rendering and how it looks in the end to bring life to whatever it’s an image or a video.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

1 Like