Extremely slow performance since 4.11.1 update

UE Editor, blueprints everything has slowed to a crawl since 4.11.1

Hi Cmcginn,

We are going to need some additional info. Could you provide your Dxdiag (system specs)?

• Go to the Start menu and type ‘dxdiag’ into the search bar. Open the file and then click ‘Save All Information’. Post that text file here.

Also, does this happen in a new project or an existing project that you converted to 4.11?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have the exact same problem. All versions of UE (I have 4.8.2, 4.9.3 and 4.10.2) run at 100 FPS on average. 4.11.1 runs at 6.9 -7.1 FPS! I’ll post my dxdiag here.link text

yh same issue
link text

you will benefit from more ram for sure, but not likely the cause of your issues.

I had my PC start crawling after i turned on distance field GI. Are there any experimental features you have turned on?

Not the cause. I’ve been running Unreal Editor with LPVs, Distance Field Shadows and over 2k objects on scene flawlessly at 100 FPS ever since 4.2. Ran perfectly fine on 4.11, both preview and release. Still does on previous versions. It’s only 4.11.1

I understand this can be frustrating. And you have a need to be productive at a decent framerate. I also get you would like to understand why the editor is now performing poorly. I’d like to help you solve your issue. Would you be willing to tell us which experimental features you have enabled? Could you possibly evaluate the performance differences between having those features turned on and off so that epic will have a better understanding of where the problems may have been introduced?

As you know, features change from build to build. It would be nice to know which ones specifically are potentially causing your issue. If none of them have an impact, then there is a problem with the core engine features and this is good information to have to zero in on a solution for you.

Alternatively, have you recently updated your graphics drivers to a beta or legacy version? Do you have any other software that performs slowly after a Windows 10 update perhaps?

I have found that updating my graphics drivers sometimes has adverse affects on my performance in Unreal and I have had numerous occasions where I’ve had to reinstall older graphics drivers to resolve the issue. I aslo know that we have recently helped to improve the DX12 support in UE4 at Microsoft and as a result specific drivers may cause issues with performance with any features that would leverage DX12 since your card doesn’t support DX12 (But neither does mine). But then again i’m not aware of any features that require DX12 as of yet, and the big gain was in performance. But I also am not terribly familiar with the new features of 4.11 (but the folks at Epic are :slight_smile: )

I checked your dxdiag but i wasn’t able to parse the driver version to the driver versions on nvidia’s website.

More often than not, nvidia recommends not using the latest updated drivers, but only using WHQL.

I am installing the latest drivers now to see if i have any difference in performance.

Drivers made no difference and I must apologize. I misspoke. Height Field GI from landscape is what made my computer go from 80FPS to 10FPS.

Of course. Running with Light Propagation Volumes and Distance Field Shadows. No changes on my machine other than updating Unreal Engine to 4.11.1. It’s the same machine that ran 4.11 perfectly in every respect. Turning off features or details doesn’t change anything. It’s a constant 6.9 frames per second.

Also, no other program underperforms. Moreso, Unreal Engine 4.10.2 runs perfectly with the same features on. So did 4.11.

It’s ok. No Landscape here, though. What’s odd is that the framerate is very consistent on 6.9 fps, regardless of the scene. The default map and my level (which has over 2k objects) run at the exact same 6.9.

I just spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out why enabling SLI caused my video cards to not output video. So I took out my video cards and put in a GTX 660. No perf diff in 4.11.1 still 89 fps in my test scene. I know that’s not very helpful to you, but it’s the only information I have been able to glean from my trials on this one :. I do hope someone can get you some useful info soon

I hope so too. Progress has been halted because of it… :frowning:

Thanks for your efforts, though. Much appreciated.

I’ve found a fix for my situation:

Close GeForce Experience and nVidia Control Panel. Worked flawlessly after that. Have no idea why precisely GeForce Experience, but that could point to some roughness around the driver part. Hope it helps!

Hi Cmcginn,

We haven’t heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as resolved for tracking purposes. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please try the solution that Artistical provided above.

Let us know if it works or not.

Cheers,

TJ