External Tool For Creating 2D Sprites And Animations

Hello there.
I have been taking a look at the Paper 2D side scroller feature in Unreal 4. I was wondering something, perhaps you guys can help out. What is a good software for easily creating (simple) 2d sprites and animation that can be imported to use as sprites in Unreal 4? Sure one could take the time to properly draw and create these through software like Photoshop, but how would someone who is not really a skilled enough artist go about making something to showcase, until a real artist picks it up?

Some programs I came across while browsing are Pyxel Edit, CrazyTalk Animator, Flip Boom, Toon Boom, and Anime Studio 10 or better. Any ideas?

Thanks.

You could use a tool like Algodoo -> there you can put together some simple sprites + animate them with bones. After that just make some pictures from the animation (frames) and import it :slight_smile:

That sounds like what I’m looking for. Thanks :smiley: I’ll take a look.

edit: Turns out it isn’t very useful for me. I have zero artistic talent. However, Anime Studio Pro seems like something I can work with, provided I can import the snaps as sprites.

Maybe you are looking for something like these.

Spine
://esotericsoftware/

Creature Animation
://creature.kestrelmoon/

Thanks yes these are exactly what I need. I have been fiddling with Spine a bit and it is pretty easy to use. I read somewhere that at some point Spine will be included as a plugin with UE4.

So I managed to create sprites properly :D. Now I’m trying to reverse where the character faces. Unreal automatically rotates the sprite by reversing the picture, provided the initial sprite is facing right. The one I had drawn was facing left, so when I move it’s going towards correct direction but doing it backwards :smiley:

www.brashmonkey has spriter with free bone rigging and payed bone rigging for 2d sprites, payed costs $30 which is cheap, although the tutorial videos on using it on YouTube overexagerate how easy it is to use and I found it a nightmare to use.

I’m trying to reverse where the character faces. Unreal automatically rotates the sprite by reversing the picture, provided the initial sprite is facing right. The one I had drawn was facing left, so when I move it’s going towards correct direction but doing it backwards

-——————————————————————————————————————

The 16th China International Lighting Fair (Autumn Fair) will be held from 22-26 October, 2015 at the Guzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre in Zhongshan City, Guangdong Province.

Hello!

I am the developer of Creature. We already have a UE4 plugin for Creature here on Github:

You can check out some of the UE4 Demos done using the Creature Plugin and BP here:

This video below has a dragon that is user controllable via BP and the Plugin. It breathes fire using UE4 Particles:
v=ymOOUtaEcsI

This video below demonstrates the new Wind Force Field Objects that allow the animation of complex cloth dynamics on 2D characters.
All animations are exported into UE4 and the scene setup + state changes are all done in BP:
v=MQK1mVSXaAk

Dude that is epic.

Hello everybody,

Some more updates on the Creature Animation Tool. Creature now supports PostProcess exports of Sprites with effects like Pixel Art, Outline etc.
Video below:
v=AIGuSZIIkME

Also, there is now a new** Mesh Bone Path Motor** that very easily allows you to animate a chain of bones along a user defined spline path:

?v=i-xG5zWXsI4

We hope this will satisfy your 2D Animation/Game Dev requirements in the UE4 framework :slight_smile:

The runtimes have also been updated, you can grab the UE4 runtimes on github:

Cheers!