EXR Cryptomatte // Object id layers appear white in photoshop

Hi , i am new to Unreal and come from working with keyshot and blender.

the problem i am having with my object id layers is that they appear without color in photosop.

i am using multilayered .exr as my output, tried using both the full and actor option in the object id options with the same result.

i tried opening the file in both photoshop 2019 and 2022 i have the Exr -Io plugin installed, these are the options i am using :

exrio_settings

i am using unreal 5.0.3

thanks for your help

See if this answers your questions

Thanks for the answer , i have previously watched this video but somehow , i still enconter the same problem .

Dealing with the same problem too, have been for a while. Not sure why it doesn’t bring in a colorized layer like every video I see. Thinking it may be an exr-IO issue.

Hi there, i got in contact with the EXR- IO DEVELOPER , and the plugin is not supposed to colorize the object id layers automatically in photoshop. He explained that in videos like the William faucher One is that whether he did some extra steps to get his id layers colorized or he did it manually.
But there is a work around to automatically get a usable clown pass automatically by opening your exr file on after effects :
1- Open your file in after effects
2- Drag it into the composition icon
3- On the right side in effects and presets type crypto and search for 3d channel cyptomatte
4- Click and drag It on top of your source name in the composition timeline and you should see the clown pass.
5- Add to the render queue and export as an exr make sure you render just the frame you need and not hundres of them.
6- You can now have your clown pass layer in photoshop.

Check out the Jonathan winbush video at the 9 minute mark:

if you see the initial part of the video he gets the same white object id layer problem in photoshop. His tutorial is the officially endorsed tutorial by the EXR- IO DEVELOPER

Hope this helps .

2 Likes

Check the workaround i was pointed to by the EXR- IO DEVELOPER. hope that helps

Hey thanks so much man, I’ll use this! You’ve helped me out a ton here, appreciate it.

No problem , hope it all works for you, the developer said the might include the auto clown pass feature in the next version.