Exporting Metahuman's Facial Control Rig animation to Maya controls

Hey there,

I’m aware that you can import rig controls animation from Maya to Unreal’s Control Rig.
But could it be done backwards?

Let’s say that I’m generating the facial animation inside UE with Live Link, bake it down to the facial control rig and want to polish it in the Maya environment.
Could it be done with the current tools?

1 Like

I also want to know if I can Export the Control Rig animation back to Maya?

Alright, so after some investigation I’ve figured that exporting “Face” track from Level Sequencer with Control Rig applied does actually outputs the control’s animation.
But it’s not that straightforward as I imagined.

So, basically, when you import the exported FBX to Maya/Max, it’ll add a single node object to the scene that contains a bunch of attributes, that represents the facial rig controls.

In theory, a Python script could be created that would transfer the keys from this attributes to the actual controls in your scene.

For some reason, my attributes are not keyed in Maya, even though they are in UE.

Anyway someone already made a py script, it just costs a bit too much (25$) for what it actually does.

@DanDRus
Give this a go. Project comes with a sample FBX file exported directly from Unreal 5 Metahuman Project. It’s Ada’s “I’m a Metahuman…”. However, you can of course export your own.

Does exactly what you described as mapping the attributes to the face controls.

3 Likes

@sean.nolan
greetings
thank you very much for this great tool! the tutorial is awesome!
here is a issue when I tried to run it on Maya 2022:

Error: AttributeError: file line 2: module ‘metahuman_facial_transfer’ has no attribute ‘UI’

maybe I did something wrong installing this tool. I’m deeply grateful if you can have a look at this problem that I have.

Grab the latest update. It includes an easier installation process.

Oh, I’ve just noticed your post.

That’s very cool, I’ll give it a try :slight_smile:
Looks like a better and advanced solution that I’ve did on my end.

Thank you very much ! It works!

I also write a plugin to implement this, hope to help you

Thanks a bunch, Sean!