Exporting Maya rig animation to unreal: Alembic error

Hello,

Im trying to import my rigged character with animation to unreal but I can’t figure out how. Im quite new in this so please bear with me

I tried multiple thing, using the unreal maya live link didn’t work and I honestly don’t understand how to export my character to unreal, all the tutorial I’ve seen, the mesh is already in there and I tried exporting only the skeleton, only the mesh, all together… I think I tried every combination possible and I’ve always had error in unreal. On top of my head the error was the fbx file is not reference by any hiearchy node or that my mesh has no weight, and it only imports the hair and shirt for example. I have no ‘red’ error though.

• I tried alembic export because I’ve managed to export a short asset animation before without trouble, but here it says . ‘Unable to import mesh due to a face consisting of 5 vertices, expecting triangles (3) or quads (4).’ My settings are UV Write and Write Face Sets and ogawa file format. In unreal, skeleton import.

• I’ve tried to triangulate/quandragulate the mesh before exporting in maya but nothing changes. I also tried to use a clean up mesh with ‘fix by tesselation’ but it crashed my maya. I’ve also tried the game exporter with baked animation in maya and it the same error has before

If it’s any important, the character has a skeleton and has a switch to go from ik to fk. The face has blendshape and I have multiple material.

Any help appreciated, i’m honestly starting to go crazy with this

Hi,

You should watch the Skeleton Assets series.
UNREAL ENGINE SKELETON ASSETS

Post a pick of your character’s joint hierarchy in Maya’s outliner.

1 Like