Exporting in millimeters

Hello, I’m trying an experiment in exporting skeletal assets in millimeters from Maya. So far it seems to work on on the rotational values as well as scale but translations are proportionally off.

I know Epic recommends using cm as a base scale but working in scale in Maya and XSI is easier in some ways for content creation and exporting in mm seems to work for the most part except for the case of joint translation. Can anyone help shed some light on this issue?

• Nghia

Hi Nghia,
Can you attach a sample that reproduce your problem to this thread. This will allow me to help you.

Alexis

OK, let me get that to you this evening.

Nghia

Crap, it won’t let me upload an .fbx file. :confused:

What else can I do?

Nghia

Create a zip file and then use the attachment icon to attach the zip file.

Here’s the issue. The skeleton is exported in mm and there are animations exported in both mm and cm but neither of them import at the right scale. I also do believe that the animation exported in mm does not translate correctly in proportion. My animator is also experiencing imported animations with the y vector pointing up. We are using Maya 2016 and the latest 4.12.4.

• Nghia

Hi Nghia,
I look at your file and notice that you did not leave the unit to automatic when you export your fbx from Maya. You can model in whatever unit you want in maya, but you have to use the automatic option for the unit. When using automatic option all your anim will import fine in UE4.

Alexis

Can I PM you somehow? The work that I am doing is under NDA.

• Nghia

Hi Nghia,

just create a simple scene with spheres, cubes and joints that represent your issue.

Alexis

So you mean I can’t specify the option to export in mm?

Nghia

Yes you export with “automatic” and then you apply the scale you want in the import dialog of UE4.

OK, thanks. Let me try that out this week. If there are any more issues, I’ll hit you guys up again.

Nghia