I’m bummed out, this was not what I would expect so I’m trying to fish for some inspiration to keep on using unreal.
This is what happened.
I did the simplest level imaginable, my brothers new apartment with third person top down starter, basically just some walls. I then exported this so my brother could mess around with it (funny use of a game huh?).
- The game files was 500mb, I expected something like 5mb
- The .exe was hidden deep inside (well we’re used to stuff like this but you’d think a package for shipping would be a bit friendlier for outsiders).
- Next, mscv was missing from his Windows 8.1.
- Having to send links and convince him visual studio wasn’t going to mess with his computer =) was… frustrating, more so for him.
- And here is where we just stopped… “xinput something is missing”.
I guess all this is needed for the big stuff and I should be grateful that it is that powerful so I went for the Android option hoping I could just upload it to dropbox and send a link to his phone… but no, what looked like a ton of different stuff had to be installed and my previous attempt didn’t really inspire me to try. I will though, being able to send out ridiculous games to friends sounds a lot of fun.
- Will sending games to friends be easier when I’m more experienced or is this simply how it is being done?
- Will the Android route be smoother?
- Even though I picked Unreal to avoid coding maybe Unity is more artist friendly?
- Could perhaps Unreal be improved in this area and things will get better?
- Am I perhaps a bit impatient and should learn more before trying to send out games? =)