Export from UE4 with morph targets and import to Blender loses all material slots

Hello

I have a skeletal mesh exported from UE4 with 12 material slots, but when I import it to Blender all of the material slots are missing. I assigned materials to the slots in UE4 before exporting. Oddly when I uncheck the ‘export morph targets’ option when exporting from UE4, the material slots show up in Blender, however then we lose the morph targets. I’m using UE 4.26 and Blender 2.93.1.

Any ideas how to get the material slots to show up in Blender while keeping morph targets in tact?

Thanks

1 Like

Export one of each and merge the 2 in blender (transfer the morphs over to the one with materials).

Not sure what you may be doing wrong on export.
Maybe you are selecting the wrong file format or similar.
I literally never had this happen ever.
(Could be a version bug though. Don’t know).

1 Like

I just tried that and noticed that even with ‘export morph targets’ enabled on UE4 export, the Shape Keys list is empty after importing to Blender. Any thoughts?

Also just noticed I get this error in Blender on import:

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.93\2.93\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx_init_.py”, line 216, in execute
if import_fbx.load(self, context, filepath=path, **keywords) == {‘FINISHED’}:
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.93\2.93\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py”, line 2901, in load
_(); del _
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.93\2.93\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py”, line 2899, in _
keyblocks = blen_read_shape(fbx_tmpl, fbx_sdata, fbx_bcdata, meshes, scene)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 2.93\2.93\scripts\addons\io_scene_fbx\import_fbx.py”, line 1388, in blen_read_shape
assert(len(vgweights) == nbr_indices == len(dvcos))
AssertionError

2 Likes

in case anyone else comes across this issue, installing the Autodesk FBX converter and converting the exported FBX worked for me. See this post:

2 Likes

Thank you, this just saved a ton of work for me! :slight_smile:

1 Like