Export from Chaos

Hi all, just a short question:
I would like to know if there is any way to export objects simulated with Chaos inside Unreal Engine to formats like alembic, fbx, usd, etc. that can be imported to other 3D applications?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

I would be very interested in this too! Maybe we can get a clue as to whether this will be possible in the future?

Hi Dave, as far as my research has proceeded, there is yet, unfortunately, no option to do that since objects simulated with Chaos have to be converted into geometry collections first which is an unreal native format that cannot be exported. But now that real time technology is developing so fast, the VFX industry could draw a significant benefit from it. Hopefully, we‘ll be able to do stuff like that in the near future. Cheers,

Looking to do the same…

Go to the Fracture Hierarchy and select your fracture levels you want to turn to mesh
In the Fracture Menus, on the far left of screen, go down to the bottom in Utilities select ToMesh
Select your desired settings. I usually click on the center pivots tick box.
Hit the blue convert button. This will ask you where you want to save all the static meshes.
In your content drawer go to the place you put all of the static meshes.
Select the static meshes you want to export.
Right click and go to drop down menu asset actions then hit either export or bulk export.
Save them to where ever you want then goto you favorite 3d app and import them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you sir for this great tip! You saved me a lot of work!!