Experience System with working HUD

just the xp increment needs to be set to what say 500 for testing. I’m still not sure why the numbers aren’t working right. I really wish I had the ability to make videos for people to follow along.

Ill retrace my steps on the tutorial. are you sure you did not forget to add a step?

I recreated everything in a new project as I wrote the tutorial. I can try following it again myself in a new project to see if anything was over looked.

Ok i followed the tutorial from the start but from what i saw everything lined up with the tutorial. So im not sure whats wrong.

Firezown, do you have a max level set? I noticed while just redoing this whole project only using this webpage, I did not clarify that greatly in my steps and without it set nothing worked, but after setting it, things came together.

Are you talking about in here.?

6a9f0a31e54c2081c0f084e83ef6430f48eafc7f.jpeg

If thats what you are talking about yeah i did that :stuck_out_tongue:

Two things I just noticed from that screen shot.

1. are you putting all of this in your player controller? if so that may be part of the issue. my variables are stored in my pawn.
  2. the xp increment in that screen shot is set to 0 and should be greater than 1.

Oh wow i feel like a newb now Lol i saw (MyCharacter) on the tutorial and miss read it as (MyController).

Edit: I deleted everything i had done in the play controller and moved it to the character but its the same issue :confused:

OK! i got it to work, so what was wrong was you were right about me having to have the variables in the Character. And i put them in there but it still was not working, So i went back through the tutorial and found out i forgot to (Tie all your variables to their respective node.). And that fixed it.

This was a great tutorial very well written i just messed it all up on my own it was nothing to do with you. But thanks for staying around to help me through it. :smiley:

Thanks again!

Edit: oh yes i did have a question though, What would i need to do to lock the xp so it no longer goes up when it hits the max level?

Here is a quick fix I thought up, could probably be more elegant.

Stop exp.PNG

Add this to your
“Give experience” function in the player character function.

Thanks, Also is to normal for the material to mess up when you did not get the full amount of xp for a level. Or is that something i messed up again? :S

Right here it says 20/45 then it has a black line where the materials should be cut off but it continues for some reason.

I would second the idea of creating a wiki out of this thread. Would be a valuable addition :slight_smile:

@firezown - I haven’t ever seen it do that so I couldn’t help you there.

@IMX - If I was a better writer I would be for it but I really am no that great but if someone else wants to do it for me and just give me credit for the blueprint creation part I’m not against that.

I could do a writeup of the whole thing…I’ll just need to find the time :wink: Let me bookmark the thread and get back to this…

Good day,

I was following your tutorial but I got lost here. I was looking for that “Blueprint Props” like everywhere, I’m sorry but can you help me find this?
Thanks!!!

Edit
Oh forget it I found it already… I was using small icons and Blueprint Props display to me as “Edit Blueprint Options…”

The tutorial is a bit messy but I’ll see if I can write it to a Wiki entry.

I will post a link below to the wiki entry for progress and hopefully finalization. I’ll try and post a sample project as well with it.

**Update:
Working wiki link - A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

I’m updating it as I go.

Just to let every one know who ever uses this tut for a xp system to get it to work correctly with UMG you have to switch all your inter to floats and add a 0-1 convert to work with the UMG progress bar correctly also to fix the bar filling all the way up issue in the level up function after set level add a set gathered xp and it will reset the bar after every level.

@Hakabane thanks for the tut it works great! :slight_smile:

I tweaked your tutoal a little bit and made a different version. Just smooten some rough edges. This is what i did when you get experience. My variables are:

XP - current XP in level.
XP overflow - the leftovers when you level up so you can add them to next level
Max level - max level
XP required for next level - requirement
EXP IN - experience you gain when killing monster.

Now in the give experience i do this.

I subtract the current XP and required XP so in example if you have 900 xp and you need 1000 xp, when you kill monster you get example 500 xp then the leftovers are 1400 - 1000 = 400 xp. So leftover is 400.

If you happen to level up this happens in level up function:

The requirement for the next level increases by 1000 * player level by every level then we reset everything and add the leftovers to the XP. We dont actually need the calculate level progress at all. If you see some errors let me know

less nodes with the same outcome. both solutions work it would appear.

I tried this with Umg. I had to change the ints to floats and use a 0-1 convert but for some reason it crashes the editor when i try to play. Do you know why.?