Experience: Colorblindness (VR)

Today i managed to release Experience: Colorblindness - a UE4 Colorblind simulator using my own framework UVRF. So if you have VR headset and are curious about how colorblind people see the world, please check it out:

Steam: Experience: Colorblindness on Steam
Oculus: eXPerience: Colorblindness on Oculus Rift | Oculus
Viveport: https://www.viveport.com/apps/edd00983-f7f6-4308-8a35-eebeeef5a16d/Experience:_Colorblindness/

Very cool. I really liked the idea of trying to paint and then seeing the “real” colors. Nice job, looks great.
–Tom

any chance you can allow users to upload content and watch it in your application?

The fruit shopping mini game shows really the trouble color blind people have in their daily life. Good Idea!

Very cool project!

I am color blind myself but is their an option for colorblind people to see the world hhow normal people see it?

I don’t know if I can make that compatible with UE4 pipeline, which require baked meshes :wink: But if you want to try your own application with colorblidness, it’s really a postprocessing shader and i can share these :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m not sure it’s possible to do that with a VR headset.

That would be really cool doh :3 not sure if it is possible either.

I’m also colorblind. There will be no way to do this based on the science of why we’re colorblind. We have Rods & Cones in our retinas that help us see/interpret the electromagnetic spectrum. Our, colorblind, cones aren’t sensitive enough to certain wavelengths, so we’ll never be able to discern these colors. Think about a radio that cannot tune into to a certain range of frequencies. For me it seems like red & green oscillate between each other, so maybe another analogy would be getting signals crossed on the radio into a jumbled mess.

The only thing they could do is something that would alter colors so that there’s a distinct separation between them, but we’ll never see the world the way “regular” people do. If you’re interested in the science check it out, there are actually some females (apparently only females) that have sensitivity to MORE colors than the rest of us. Some birds of prey have more Rods & Cones allowing them to see more of the electromagnetic spectrum than humans… getting into the IR and UV ranges (maybe this how Eagles can spot fish so well under the water?)

Too bad I have these feeble eyes…

Edit; To the OP : this application is the reason I’m digging my Oculus out of storage, wiping the dust off, and hooking it back up! My wife and friends are always trying to figure out how I see the world. “What color is this???” lol

As someone who is what’s called tritanope I get lost on colors like light blues with greys, dark purples with black, mid-greens with blues and oranges with reds. while most of you wait on the light to turn green I wait for it to turn blue. its when you start moving away from what I call obvious colors and mixing them like blue green it gets hard for me to tell colors apart, the older I get the worse it gets, but you learn to deal with it.

It reminds me when I have seen an ad in the underground with green background and black text, and I felt stupid because I didn’t understand it, there were huge holes in it, and I thought it’s some design choice… only when I went near did I realize that they have actually highlighted some words with red, and that highlight actually made the text disappear for me in the background, as it was too close to the green one (I’m green-red colorblind) :smiley:

Jesus, I hate it! :smiley: Like we are test monkeys or something… :smiley: