Everyone wants UT4, what if we create our own?

[=;11033]
I’d not count on that. Talk to Epic. They have been so kind to give us these tools, so be so kind and talk to them.
OR use another workingtitle, and just use UT as a general inspiration.
[/]

Unreal Community it is XD. Anyway, i dont know how to contact EPIC for that. so i guess they will reply to thread or the one in the GotTalent forum

I’ve popped the question to Epic over on the AnswerHub (As the epic team read that quite often) - If you guys could post messages of support, it might increase our chances. questions/23738/are-the-community-allowed-to-create-unreal-tournam.html :slight_smile:

Sounds like a pretty good community project and I’d be willing to pitch in, but I’m still pretty new to UE4.

Is there going to be a central repository for the source code? I’m thinking Bitbucket is a good route to go, since they offer private repositories for free, unless the plan is just to release it to the public in which case github is probably better.

Also like said, it’s unlikely Epic will let it use the UT brand name, so it’ll need a name. Just throwing ‘Zero Tolerance’ out there because it sounds like a pretty cool name and is slightly related to Epic.

[=vblanco;11035]
Unreal Community it is XD. Anyway, i dont know how to contact EPIC for that. so i guess they will reply to thread or the one in the GotTalent forum
[/]

From the FAQ of epicgames.com

[]

I love your game and I’d like to make a movie/book/song/soundtrack/merchandise/TV show/comic based on it. Can we talk about it?

Please contact White at Creative Artist Agency: [EMAIL=“iwhite@caa.com”]iwhite@caa.com

[/]

I guess includes a sequel for the franchise. And even if not he can forward you to the right person.

Edit: As a name suggestion “Unreal Contest” should be legal i guess ;D

[=Sonshi;11038]
Sounds like a pretty good community project and I’d be willing to pitch in, but I’m still pretty new to UE4.

Is there going to be a central repository for the source code? I’m thinking Bitbucket is a good route to go, since they offer private repositories for free, unless the plan is just to release it to the public in which case github is probably better.

Also like said, it’s unlikely Epic will let it use the UT brand name, so it’ll need a name. Just throwing ‘Zero Tolerance’ out there because it sounds like a pretty cool name and is slightly related to Epic.
[/]

Im planning on making a GitHub project for the code, and then use a SVN public server(still looking for one) for the actual assets.
Git is very good for code, but trash for binary assets, SVN is meh for code, and better for binary, so using a split approach is actually very possible and its what im doing in a personal project.

[=;11033]
I’d not count on that. Talk to Epic. They have been so kind to give us these tools, so be so kind and talk to them.
OR use another workingtitle, and just use UT as a general inspiration.
[/]

[=Sonshi;11038]
[/]

Tournament or Open Tournament. Or just “UT” if you want to pretend you’re basing a game off of the Union Tribune.
It would also need to avoid referring to IP-related properties, like Liandri or the Skaarj. (As RattleSN4K3 mentioned about changing names).

Even if Epic allows a project titled UT4, that would carry with it certain expectations that could be avoided by creating an original but similar property.

Count me in :slight_smile:

BEST idea!

A good, non-commercial community game, freely distributed and open for all to work with is most needed! With such,
simple mappers like me get interested in subscribing and working on ue4 aswell, who couldn’t do much with only the engine.

A new UT would be the most awesome, I’m a UT3 fan and mapper myself. I would offer help where I can.
But as mentioned, no ut3 assets nor any name with “Unreal Tournament” is allowed.
=> no port of UT3 to ue4 allowed
=> must design and create game code & assets ALL ENTIRELY new
(Vehicles, Weapons, Environment, Maps, Gametypes and other mechanics,etc…)

Ambitious project, but you’re my heroes if its happening!

My working title suggestion:
Unrealised Tournament :cool:

Asked Epic, Official word back:
“We appreciate your interest in both Unreal Tournament and UE4, but unfortunately we cannot authorize a community driven Unreal Tournament game. But if you want to make a spiritual successor that doesn’t use the trademarks or copyrighted content (like characters), definitely go for it.”

That’s what I meant. It would mean recreating EVERYTHING yourself.
If you’re really ambitious enough and capable of,

go for the spiritual successor that doesn’t use the trademarks or copyrighted content, community! :smiley:

I would prefer to see Unreal 3 :stuck_out_tongue: Thru i belive for community making spiritual successor of UT will be easier and more suitable

Hi Everybody,

We are very honored to see how many people are interested in creating project; it speaks volumes about how much Unreal Tournament has touched our lives.

I went ahead and talked about to our business department and what it comes down to is this: We encourage you to create a community-based “spiritual sequel” project that can be 100% your own. We would be ecstatic to see a project that is inspired by the fast-paced and intense gameplay of Unreal Tournament. However, we also want to make sure there are no business complications down the road, so please do not use the Unreal Tournament name or any trademarked or copyright protected content in the project. Other than that, we are thrilled to see what will come of the project. Please keep us posted with updates!

[= ;11130]
Hi Everybody,

We are very honored to see how many people are interested in creating project; it speaks volumes about how much Unreal Tournament has touched our lives.

I went ahead and talked about to our business department and what it comes down to is this: We encourage you to create a community-based “spiritual sequel” project that can be 100% your own. We would be ecstatic to see a project that is inspired by the fast-paced and intense gameplay of Unreal Tournament. However, we also want to make sure there are no business complications down the road, so please do not use the Unreal Tournament name or any trademarked or copyright protected content in the project. Other than that, we are thrilled to see what will come of the project. Please keep us posted with updates!
[/]

Cheers for the support! Here’s a repost for from the Looking for Team Forum:

“Right, I’ll start a Google Site in a little while with 's names and roles. If people could PM me or post on here their email addresses and / or Skype ID’s - it’s going to make things a lot easier to manage.”

Remember, is welcome to join community effort!

EDIT: As is a community project, if somebody wants rights to add news to the page. Let me know!

https://sites.google.com/a/.co.uk/sstut/

There’s the link to the TEMPORARY Google Site. Feel free to vote on a name and message me if you want permissions to add stuff to the site. Hopefully can get a Skype group started up soon. I’ve listed whose shown interest on the site. If I put stuff incorrectly or you have anything to add, shoot me a message: contact@.co.uk and I’ll sort it out / give you permissions to do the stuff you need.

Let’s do this :wink:

I would love to be a part of who would I have to speak to and show my work to get considered?

I would say either vblanco, or KilatusStudios. Honestly, you could probably just show your work here on thread :P.

For the people who want to get in the project, add me on skype, ill create a group for it. ( vblanco20-1 )

Note: post should be a constructive one. Don’t take my points to serious or against some-already-made steps of project.

Not sure if project needs to be rushed. There are several open question about such project. And the focus should be coordination. A skype group might work well but all these discussions there, are not maintained, stored or read by . Such project needs a dedicated site and a project management software like RedMine, collabtive, projectPier (just to name some free ones). In general, every subscriber can start and work one some tasks like models, code, netcode, maps, etc. but all these would be uncoordinated. Discussion on skype won’t get to , all the ideas won’t get written down so one can work on that new idea, etc.

There should be some coordination and basic guideline how to start for every project member. Most of the game logic for UT is available (see UnrealScript). All game code should be split so all of the programmers can work on some specific parts like movement, weapons, Inventory handling, specific game types, vehicles, character customization, netcode, Anti-Cheat, User interface/menu, advanced features for spectators, ingame voice control, client/server part, demo/replay support, ladder system, ranking, etc. All the designers can create assets but what should these assets look like… a ancient kind of type (like UT99 and some maps of UT3) or some futuristic look? Or just every kind of possible assets? should be planned.

Also the part of the character look is important. Some do want old skinny as it was in UT99. Some prefer the UT2004 fashion models (or UT3 ones). Human like or alien like? A mix of both?

The mapping part is really easy going in my opinion but can take very long. Every mapper can work with the project assets. The concept of a map should be done in as a prototype so every project member can play-test that map. Basically what Epic does with their maps.

What’s the platform?
Definitely PC/Windows, but what about other ones? Linux support when UE4 is ready for? And some idea to get handhelds into the system as well, like Spectator-only for Android/IOS?

What’s the focus?
Singleplayer or Multiplayer? Story mode? Ladder system and tournament style? A simple port of X?

What’s the predecessor?
UT3 or UT2004? Or UT99? What’s game elements should be in there? A Axon vs Necris setting? A tournament-like game like the one from UT2003/2004? Support for creatures (for Invasion, a “Singleplayer”, …)?

What’s the backend for the Multiplayer part?
Dedicated servers are essential but what about the “Profile” part? Steam integration? Sagittarius backend? A complete custom implemented one?

What’s the plan for clan and league support?
Will there be some ranking for clans? Support for an official leaque system? ESL/MLG?

What’s the plan for advanced features
Support for some advanced features like DemoRec, Splitscreen, Modding/Scripting? A Lobby system? Player ranking (like ELO)? Twitch support? HLTV/UTV support?

PS: I’m interested on that project as overall helper with the focus on code.
PPS: I don’t think I will join Skype.

Ive been in projects with big systems like that thing you say for issues and wikis. And skype worked best all the time, becouse its instant, and we help each other in a more personal way. Anyway, we will have issue tracking and wiki, to document the things. Keep in mind i just added the idea, and i have my plan on how to coordinate amout of people, but first, we need to get to an agreement of the details like copying ut99, 2004, or 3, and I think the focus is on multiplayer, but invasion mode and assault can be made. Steam support is going to be added, no doubt, as that helps a lot.
Lobby, rankings, clans, that is still too far. I plan on creating the first version with a few core weapons and maiby 1 map or 2, and from there, start focusing the programming team on multiplayer features like rankings or clan wars if we see interest for that.
At moment im availible on skype, so you can add me and we can talk there, or at least in the #unrealengine IRC chat. The thing is to have a more personal communication system.
For code we will use Github, wich has issue tracking, and its very nice for collaborative coding. Github also has wiki for documentation, so even better.
Discussions will be held on Skype, as its the most popular chat system, maiby IRC too.
Modding support is the whole thing of this. As the project is opensourced, you can just grab the latest version, create a map, and then upload it, no problem. Anyway, i will search for a way to automatically download maps, like Source engine does.
Ill be on IRC now, if you want to discuss better.

Skype works fine as it is direct. But is only good for global-project irrelevant discussions. Milestones, project team members, tasks, etc. should be written done somewhere. A forum is a bad example for having such things written down. If someone joins IRC or the skype group and discuss or schedule some important steps of that project, the information only gets to that small amount of readers. For a quick concept brainstorming collaborative software tools work well. As quick idea of having a new community UT4 is just brought to life, I do know that all these helping tools are too much to ask for, but it helps keeping track of the whole development of such project.

In example, Etherpad. allows collaborative brainstorming-like written-down concepts. You can write things as Wiki and export it for the real project Wiki. All these text changes inside that Etherpad are stored and can be restored from the history. It keeps everything tracked. is the most easiest solution for discussions. There are free services. It works online without any account and without any additional software. It can be used for quite everything… in example a list of features the community (not only the devs) would like to see.