Event tick forward movement not working. How to fix? (Version: 5.0.0-19206456+++UE5+Release-5.0)

So i started a new project for mobile in Unreal Engine 5. I am needing my character to run forward with no input (so i was gonna add a event tick) I added a Event Tick connected to Add Movement Input and was replacing the bult in InputAxis Move Forward/Backward with mine. Yet when i do, it either walks slowly forward or not at all. How do i set up a event tick to move my character forward with no button press while still allowing player to move character right and left? One image shows original blueprint. Second image shows closer view of my blueprint as you can see my Event tick is NOT hooked up but I had it hooked up and didn’t work. (Version: 5.0.0-19206456+++UE5+Release-5.0) *It only allows me to put 1 image in my question. i wil ltry to add original image in a answer section.

There’s a 1 coming out of the axis nodes, but a .08 coming out of tick. You’ll need to multiply it up.

1 Like

I am confused. Where do you see 1 coming out of the Axis Node and a 0.8 coming out of the tick? Once I find it (lol), I then just add a multiply to it or just move it up to a 1?

If you printed out the values coming from the nodes, you would see it.

They have different uses.

The axis nodes give you a 1 to mean ‘move’.

The tick node actually gives you the length in seconds of 1 frame, which is typically .08 seconds…

1 Like

So I just add a Multiply function or how do i move it up to a 1? Sorry, Still learning. The video I was watching to learn is UE$ and I am using % so several things are different

Tick works the same way in 4 and 5.

Multiply by 120 :slight_smile: if you want to use it as an axis input.

1 Like

Would it be heavy on resources? All I am tryin to do is get my character to move forward without any player input. it just needs to move forward constantly and not stop. Am I doing it the most efficient way or would you recommend another, better way?

It’s fine. Tick gets a bad name, because of all the rubbish people hang on it. A bit of character movement is fine…

2 Likes

Thanks for the help

Ok, So I multiplied it and it now moves forward. Awesome. But now it wont move right or left. lol I screwed something up. And technically I don’t know if it is Turn right/left or move Right/left but i think it is move right /left as i do not want the body to turn

It’s a good idea to re-ask with that in mind. There can be all sorts of stuff wrong with character movement, in conjunction with control rotation. Not really my area… :wink:

2 Likes

Same thing just happened to me today working on my player character.

This seemed to happen right after i paused the character animation, tested a spotlight on on the character then reenabled the character animation. “in all levels no tick from character.”

The node worked to enable tick on game start, but curious how the animation pause switch could cause this issue.