EU5 / Random framerate drops / ue5.1

Hello, I have a problem that I can’t solve. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea for me to have a look at the game’s website or not. I have attached a video, in this one the drop happens when I move spots, but it also happens when I click on materials or when I walk on the map… I have turned down the post process settings to minimum but it doesn’t change anything. When I hide the lighting: Directional light, fog, post process, nothing changes. If I reload the map the problem is still there, I have to quit the engine and restart it to not have the problem anymore. Has anyone had this problem before? I reinstalled the engine and updated windows 10 but it didn’t change anything (RTX2080 11GB / 36GB Ram / i7).

It would be just wild guesswork to try and figure out what you have going on there.

Something is too heavy.

Best thing, is to get the sluggish behaviour and then GPU profile ( CTRL-SHIFT-, ) and take a look at the ‘big’ bits… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I forgot to mention that this problem only occurs on version 5.1. It is a high poly pack for the market place, I created 2 scenes in it, they are identical in terms of meshes but the 2nd one has particle effects and the post process is strong. I did this so that everyone can run the demo regardless of their configuration. But even the low settings scene block at 10 fps on the 5.1 version while I just tested it again on the 5.03, I am between 45 and 60 fps. I think it’s more of a setting that needs to be changed, what do you think? I’m looking for

It’s Lumen, for sure. A lot of stuff shifted there.

I had a good 80 fps, it dipped to 30. Turns out ( for me ), that Lumen now constructs a much more accurate view of the meshes in your level. I had to tell it to ignore some instanced stuff.

Did you try the GPU profile? I think you’ll find it’s spending all the time in the Lumen work.

I seem to recall it was something to do with the ‘surface cache’, the way Lumen makes it’s idea of your environment.

Take a look at your scene in the Lumen overview, I think you’ll find it doesn’t look like it should ( it should look roughly like the normal view ).

Taking into account that lumen now supports sub surface scattering do you have any materials that pass through light?
Before it would probably be ignored, now it might add to the lighting calculations.