I’m getting an error when cooking my project (specifically in this case Launching project from the editor). Simulate and Play work just fine. This project has been launched recently, but I’m not 100% what I did or changed that might have caused it to stop working. This is project-specific, other projects cook just fine.
Any ideas why this might be happening or what I can do to fix it?
Can you give us more information? When you say ‘getting an error’, what are you seeing? Do you have any idea what’s causing the error? Even if you could narrow it down to ‘blueprints’ or ‘mac compatibility’ or ‘weird plugins’ it would be a ton of help.
Additionally, it would help if you could tell us what version of the engine you’re on. 4.4.3, downloaded through the launcher?
Sure! Sorry about that, I thought the attached log covered most of that info.
I am on 4.4.3 binary from the launcher.
I get the error when I either click Launch from the editor some way through the cooking process, or when it cooks through cook/package the project. The cook fails and the output log contains what was in the previously attached log. The editor doesn’t crash or anything, I just cannot continue the cook process.
I’m really unsure of what caused the error to start showing up. I’m not trying to build for a new platform, nor have I added or enabled any new plugins or libraries. The only changes I’ve made would be code and content. I’ve both added and changed some code, blueprints, meshes and materials.
I was hoping you might have some suggestions or likely causes so I could try and narrow it down. Or what ExitCode 25 means in “AutomationTool exiting with ExitCode=25”
Worst case I can try reimporting content into a new project to see if I can find the specific point of failure - I was just hoping there might be some common causes for this type of error that I could look at before I did that.
Looks like the cooker is crashing, there is another log for the cooker which will help us track down whats going on.
E:\Program Files\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Programs\AutomationTool\Saved\Logs\Cook.txt.
Could you upload this log?
This log file looks like it’s crashing before the cooker is even starting.
It’s really hard to track this down without a callstack.
If you wouldn’t mind debugging the editor using the commandline from the text file that would help track this down a lot.
To debug the editor you just need to set your project as startup project from visual studio then select “development editor” “win64” as your configuration then set the following as the commandline parameters. When it crashes I would really like to see the callstack :).
So it turns out it was something in my code that was causing the issue.
When I set my command line arguments to the ones you suggested it did actually crash at a point in my code.
Kind of an interesting error to find that doesn’t crash the editor, but it does crash if you try and cook it!
I was making a call in a constructor for one of my classes to a custom static library that puts a string into a char* buffer, and then I was using ANSI_TO_TCHAR() to put that buffer into a FString. It looks like when I just run it without cooking that buffer string is defined and everything works normally, but if I cook it then the string is undefined and I get a crash on the ANSI_TO_TCHAR() call.
If I move that call to the static library out of the constructor and into its own initialization function everything works perfectly fine as intended. So that was 100% my own fault.
I am hugely appreciative of you helping me find that crash.
Thanks very much for your time and help!