Download

ERROR: Visual Studio 2017 must be installed in order to build this target. HELP

Hello! I am facing one strange problem while using Visual Studio and Unreal Engine. When I want to create new C++ project in Unreal Engine, the error “Visual Studio 2017 must be installed” appears. However, I have already installed it (and many additional components for it), but the error still appears. Reinstalling didn’t work. I have been struggling with this problem for 2 weeks, but I didn’t find the solution. Do you know what can cause this error?

Did you include the necessary C++ components when installing Visual Studio 2017? You need to include the Game Development for C++ component with Unreal Engine Installer checked.
See this tutorial.

Yes, Game Development for C++( + Unreal Engine Installer), Desktop Development, .NET Development included

Try checking the registry keys for your visual studio to make sure Unreal can detect your VS installation.
Otherwise, you can always try installing “UnrealVS” extension on your visual studio.

Thank you for respond, but I have already thried that. Changing the destination of Visual Studio in regedit fixed the problem only partly, the error still pops up.
About UnrealVS - I am really unlucky person. The installer doesn’t launch, I cannot install it.

Am I correct to assume you are using the Epic Games Launcher version of the engine? (I see -rocket parameter in the command which usually means launcher version)
Did you try with the source version of the engine?
Also, are you able to create a C++ project in Visual Studio at all?

Thank you very much for your time. I have tried everything, it didn’t help me.
However, reseting the PC solved the problem)