Error on launch for successfully compiled VR app on Quest 2

I’m just compiling a standard VR template application in Unreal into an android .apk so I can install it on my Quest 2 device via USB cable through the Oculus Developer Hub app.

The app compiles successfully, and installs successfully.

When I open the app on the VR headset it instantly crashes. The debug log for the Quest 2 is not very helpful. I’ve attached an image of this below.

PC: M1 Macbook Pro (14" 2021)
Mac OS X: Monterey 12.5.1
Unreal engine: 5.03
VR: Oculus Quest 2

Android build settings:
Java version: 1.8.0_202
Android NDK: 23.0.7599858
Android SDK: 29.0.2

UPDATE: I fixed it. There were two things going on:

1. I followed the instructions on this thread to disable a plugin that was crashing the app:

2. I then had to manually close the app on Oculus Developer Hub during the build. As part of the build process the app launches, I just had to stop it, then the build process could finalize. Then it’s possible to run the app on VR. I have todo this on each build though.

Hello! I am stuck in the same place, with Unreal 5 VR Template. But I couldn’t make it work on Oculus Quest 2.

Can you pls develop a little further what you did in the 2nd step? I can build the apk but it keeps stopping after the sideload.

Thank you!

which plugin ? which thread ?

Landed here searching the forum as I am having a similar issue on an M1 Mac but with Sonoma and UE 5.3.2 . Android APKs package fine for other devices (non-VR) The VR template packages to PAK and APK installs on Quest 2.
Application closes momentarily after starting, which plugins did yo enable/disable to get yours to work?
Steve

1 Like

Hello! I’m using UE.5.3.2 on a Mac M1 with Sonoma, trying to compile and launch the VR Template Project for a test on a Quest 2, I’m struggling to know what are the correct Android Studio Version and the SDK packs/configs are needed for this case (UE5.3.2 + Mac M1 Sonoma + Quest 2) in order to get it working properly, in a way that the build and the launch works. Thank you very much for any clue!

For reference for my problem, the S\system is Mac Studio M1 Max running Sonoma 14.2. I am also seeing same problem on an M1 MacBook Air.

Unreal Engine 5.3.2

Android Dev Studio Flamingo | 2022.2.1 Patch 1

In Android Dev Studio’s SDK Manager
Android SDK API 34
Android SDK Build tools 34.0.0.0 and 33.0.1
Android NDK 25.1.8937393
Android SDK Command-line Tools 11 through 1
CMake 3.10.2.4988404
Android SDK Platform Tools 34.0.5

And the Quest 2 is running version 60 of its OS

In this setup I can package and run games on Android devices.

It will successfully package the UE 5.3.2 VR template to an APK BUT the APK loads and fails immediately with a permission error. The error as seen in abd log cat is

avc: denied { read } for name=“u:object_r:vendor_board_init_prop:s0”

The same project packages fine on a similarly configured Windows 11 computer and does not crash on loading . Also, packing under earlier versions seemed to work back in 4.27. And applications I compiled in those versions still run. Just the one packaged on the Mac under 5.3.2 fails to run.

I haven’t been able to determine what on the Mac is causing this , so th packaged app will not run at this time.

i´ve the same error, Could someone fix it?