ERROR: No 32-bit compiler toolchain found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\cl.exe

Would really appreciate any help with this problem

I’ve read about every thread I could find involving the error I get and I’ve reinstalled both visual studio and unreal engine 2-3 times each and updated both, I can’t run a C++ project or even create one as Unreal can’t seem to find Visual Studio 2017’s cl.exe to compile it, at least I think thats the issue

Unreal is set to use visual studio 2017 as its default however it searches for the wrong folders and folders that don’t exist

I would downgrade to visual studio 2015 but I can’t find a download for it anywhere

Thanks in advance

link text

I also encountered this problem and it’s been bugging me for like 2 hours and then I found this answer here in the answerhub that says something about changing register keys to point unreal in the right direction when it is looking for a compiler, seems reasonable. haven’t tried it myself yet but will give it a shot later.

Believe me i had no clue either, im no computer wiz, but i googled some and this is what i found:

To be able to edit the register you have to use the register editor. Click on the search icon(magnifying glass icon) down in the left-hand side corner (guess you’re running windows 10 ?).
Then type “run” and when this pops up , type in “regedit” and this opens the register editor.

Then find this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and follow the path I used below to solve this.

I changed the entry “14” to “15” in the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\SxS\VC7

Then I changed the path of the entry to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\ (before it said C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\) since it seems that Unreal is looking for the file “Microsoft.VCToolsVersion.default.txt.” in the path: Auxiliary\Build\ to find the C++ toolset installed with Visual Studio.

The way i figured this out was because i got this kind of error : System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException when assigning different paths to the entry before creating a new Unreal C++ blank project. The error message i got mentioned something about an Auxiliary\Build\ path so i checked in the folder for Visual Studio 2017 and found that there were folders named “Auxillary” and " Build".

Hope this helps !

sorry for the wierd formatting of the text, didn’t look it through enough :stuck_out_tongue:

You are the best Human being on this planet, Thank you so much I might finally start growing hair again

cheers ma dude

I saw this but I have no clue on how to go about doing it, It seems really complicated and I didn’t download unreal through Github either

haha thanx , glad i could help :slight_smile:

cheers !