Error building source code. Failed to produce OodleHandlerComponent

I’ve been trying to build the engine from source using Visual Studio 2013. I’m following all the instructions laid out on the github page, but I am seeing the following errors :

error : Failed to produce item: D:\UnrealEngineSource\UnrealEngine\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\PacketHandlers\CompressionComponents\Oodle\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\NotForLicensees\UE4Editor-OodleHandlerComponent.exp

error MSB3073: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development -waitmutex" exited with code -1.

I’m fairly sure the second error is only here because the build failed due to the previous error.

I’ve successfully built it previously, but I have been trying to build either Master or Promoted so I can play with a feature that is currently in a pull request. Since pull requests have to be rebased to Master, the changes aren’t easy to merge into Release. However, I haven’t made any changes to the code yet, as I want to make sure that the engine builds before I add any other potential issues.

Thanks in advance.

I just ran into this myself, and a broken unit test I had to comment out. I’ll let you know if I figure something out.

Thanks, please let me know if you find anything. I don’t have a clue at this point.

Can you try to delete all build files in the Intermediate directories and then do a full rebuild?

We haven’t had any problems here, as far as I know.

Hi Max,

that was my first try to resolve the issue…no luck though :frowning:

Edit: I found a workaround. I simply renamed both the related .plugin and .build.cs and had the project files rebuilt. then the build of the engine went through :smiley:

Hmm… perhaps a third-party dependency missing. It looks like we integrated Oodle on Wednesday, and the ThirdParty zip is probably not updated yet. I circulated this internally - hopefully someone will respond.

Cool, thanks for the quick help! :smiley:

I’m trying to repro this now. It should compile as stub when Oodle sdk is missing (which it is out of the box, it’s up to the consumer to get a license here).

I did confirm one thing though, that if the oodle compression plug-in is disabled in the edit for you project (which it should be by default), the plug-in doesn’t try to compile. Can you confirm whether the plug-in is disabled or not? It should be under the networking section in the plug-ins view in the editor.

I cannot, as soon as I add it back, it tries to compile together with the rest of the engine/editor and goes poof again…and if I remove the plugin obviously then there is nothing to check for :slight_smile:

Edit:
I checked the plugins configuration and as you said, it is configured to NOT load automatically, but still tries to compile together with the engine (which is normal I think)

Very strange. I just confirmed that the plug-in should compile as stub when sdk is missing.

I did notice though, that the editor would fail to load the plug-in based on the way we were creating the plug-in stub (but everything compiles fine though). I submitted a fix for the plug-in failing to load as stub in the editor though just now.

Can you copy/paste the full error output you are getting when compiling the OodleHandlerComponent module?

The way this works is inside OodleHandlerComponent.Build.cs, it will define HAS_OODLE_SDK as 0 if the sdk is missing, and when HAS_OODLE_SDK is 0, most things inside OodleHandlerComponent.cpp compiles as empty module with no dependency on Oodle.

Any output you are getting relating to the error would be very helpful!

I will try to get more info. :slight_smile: Right now it compiles your changes…for whatever reason that triggered a 75% rebuild of everything, 943 actions…O.O

Edit: it’s done compiling now and the plugin is disabled by default for the project I am on, just like you said.

the only error I was getting in Visual Studio (I’m on 2015): “failed to produce .exp”

Glad it fixes your issue! Let me know if this is a problem going forward.