Epic's GPUlightmass

anyone know if swarm with gpu lightmass will be supported?

I have the same question.

I would like to bake with multiple machines like before.

just found out the way to get gpu lightmass point lights to work properly with proper intensity. Source radius cannnot be 0… if you set it to anything larger then 0 then it works correctly.

HELP ME:(

Getting crash error when using UE 4.26 preview1 GPU Lightmass

Fatal error: [File:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Util.cpp] [Line: 258] Direct3DDevice->CreateComputeShader((void*)CodePtr, CodeSize, nullptr, Shader->Resource.GetInitReference()) failed at D:/Build/++UE4/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Shaders.cpp:286 with error E_INVALIDARG

UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_D3D11RHI
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_GPULightmass
UE4Editor_GPULightmass
UE4Editor_GPULightmass
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_RenderCore
UE4Editor_Core
UE4Editor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

Inside Project setting - “Default RHI” option is not visible in my editor.

I am Using GTX1060 card

Hey guys I recently got some issues (I guess) with virtual lightmaps:
When I finish building with GPU (2.6 Preview 1) the result is looking good. But when I rotate the camera there is a high latency with my textures and some of them (mostly the ones which arent fully visible) still arent shown correctly . Which (build- ?) settings do I need to change?

@Prav2pkp I had some errors when finishing the baking-process which occured when having too many lightmaps with high resolution.

In my case It is not a big scene just couple of box to test GPULightmass. Baking process dont even start. When i press bake in GPU lightmass window ue4 crash with above mentioned error.

I am using UE4 for archviz and I am personally quite disappointed with Epic’s gpu lightmass. On my machine (1950x,32gb,1080ti) it takes more time to bake the same scene as on Luoshuang’s GPULightmass. In Task Manager I noticed that Epic’s GPULM uses 3D Cores (or something) and Luoshuang’s GPULM uses CUDA cores. Somebode knows why?
When Epic’s GPULM is running i have massive freeze on my pc, with Luoshuang’s GPULM is no freezes and I can work parallel.
I don’t like how denoiser works, and whein it disabled you need to increase the GI Samples up to 2048 or more to get acceptable quality for archviz.

So, who is using UE4 for archviz and what is your opinion on new Epic’s GPULM compare to Luoshuang’s GPULM?

I have the same experience, and also GTX1080Ti. I suppose that is the main culprit. That the Epic GPU lightmass is much slower due to DXR emulation via CUDA being far less efficient than code explicitly written for CUDA, and also that while on RTX cards using DXR, Epic GPU Lightmass would utilize more of the RT cores, leaving some headroom for shading cores to render the Desktop Window Manager on Windows, while when emulating DXR using CUDA, it over utilizes GPU.

Non the less, if the DXR emulation using CUDA is so resource heavy that it doesn’t leave enough room for DWM on windows to even function properly, then Epic GPU Lightmass should at the very least set GPU priority of the process to lower, so users can at least work alongside building lighting.

LIGHTING SMOOTH work for me!

Im on preview 2 and I noticed that there is a difference between GPU and CPU light builds for dynamic objects lit by light probes… GPU is too dark.

Denoiser seems to work waaaay better in preview 2

Area shadows still broken
Stationary skylights still broken
Indirect lighting intensity still broken

Has anyone been successful when using IES profile with the gpu lightmass?

I also had crashes with P1 and P2. Pulling the usb cable from my Oculus Rift fixed that

Looks like preview 3 broke gpu lightmass further…

This bug where gpu lightmass is darker with pointlights then cpu bake… darker static gpu vs the stationary/ moveable in gpu… is back and its worse in preview 3… Previously changing the source radius to anything other then 0 fixed it to have the proper intensity… now not even changing the source radius fixes it. static baked point lights are way darker in gpu lightmap baker reguardless of point light radius. Way darker then stationary gpu/ moveable… and way darker then cpu version static.

Good day to all. I tested GPU LIghtmass in 4.26.0 preview 4. And have some problems with UV seams on geometry. When building light use CPU i have not UV seams problem. How can solve this problem?

Turn the denoiser off and use irradiance caching with a ton of samples.

Probably faster to just fix those horrible UVs though

Wait a minute, i have not tested 4.26 yet, but do GPU Lightmass still require UV-s ?

Yes of course… how would it work without them?

testing GPUlm in 4.26.0.p5 - any suggestions how to improve the quality? still seeing ‘splotches’ with these settings
Edit: even with denoiser - some splotches still are visible - it does look a bit better though.

I’ve not seen a result like this from GPU LM honestly. Only thing I could suggest is turning off lightmap compression, but that doesn’t look like the issue here.

Otherwise you could try cranking the samples/ic quality up to the max of 8192

Edit: Actually I am seeing results similar to yours in areas with very low indirect lighting. If it is an option you may want to consider increasing your lightmap resolution, making the texels smaller at least makes the noise a bit less noticeable.