Epic's GPUlightmass

Btw, are reflection captures even supported by GPULM (I am still on 5.3.2) ? I have a reflective “metal” sphere and spherical reflection capture. I not sure why, but only some things get captured on it. Or rather, it looks like reflection is from the time I built lighting with CPULM and no geo I added since then got captured.

P.S. Never mind - I moved reflection capture actor a bit and rebuilt reflection captures. Now everything reflects. I don’t think anyone should ever nudge reflection capture actor to update reflections. Sounds like a bug to me.

Build > “Build Reflection Captures” doesn’t work for you?

The only thing I noticed is that I think Nanite doesn’t work perfectly with reflection captures, nor does the virtual texturing. Some of your meshes may not load fully or have blurry textures in your reflection captures.

it didn’t until I nudged reflection capture actor in the scene off its original location.

You can also see some artifacts in your screenshot, though they are not very noticeable in PC mode. Try switching to the mobile platform via Settings->Preview Platform->iOS or Android. Once you switch to the mobile platform, which uses LQ lightmaps, the artifacts become very obvious.

That’s on the device (Meta Quest Pro).

While testing the Github version of UE 5.5.0 (build today 24-07-23), I notice a big difference in GI when using GPUlightmass. See video. The GPUlightmass streaming level should look very similar to the Lumen streaming level. In UE 5.4.3 they look the same. Any known changes that could cause this visual difference?

Edit: added a picture - looks like no secondary bounce light ? The ceiling / backside of objects seem to not get any bounce lights.

1 Like

Edit: issue is solved in Github build 24-08-21.

Another test:
Created a brand new first person template map in 5.4.3 and 5.5.0 (github build from 24-07-23)
Changed lights to static, copied the floor to create a floating ceiling, enabled GPUlightmass + raytracing. Changed post process volume to none for GI and screen space for reflections.
Added a static point light next to the cubes in the back.

In 5.4.3 you clearly see bounce light effect + color bleeding.
In 5.5.0 both are missing.

Hoping this gets picked up by the team. @Luoshuang or anyone else can have a look at this?

1 Like

It seems to not have GI at all. But it may be due to its beta phase (5.5). I would be sure this will be solved when released.

crossing fingers

1 Like

I wanted to report that GPU Lightmass in UE 5.4.3 does not render the Landscape correctly. Landscape will receive lighting properly, but it won’t affect the other actors (no bounce lighting, no occlusion).

2 Likes

@TiagoCostaUE I see someone with your name has added an update to the GPUlightmass github source. Is that you? If so; I just tested the latest build (24-08-08) and GPUlightmass is broken in 5.5 - no GI whatsoever. Is the team aware of this? See Epic's GPUlightmass - #632 by maxbrown

2 Likes

hi @maxbrown
Look at this in ue5main 5.5 and you will see the commit

Mark LightmapType in PrimitiveComponent as deprecated for 5.5, it's …
…now behind accessors so that we can control this behavior across all actors depending on settings (actual code doing this to come in a subsequent CL)

at
Deprecate 5.5 patch

Comparing to April when 5.4/ue5main was working in my repo
EPIC-GPULightmass55Valid

UnrealEngine-5/Engine/Plugins/Experimental/GPULightmass/Source/GPULightmass/Private/Scene at EPIC-GPULightmass55Valid · jimshalo10/UnrealEngine-5 (github.com)

to ue5main now there are loads of changes, possibly causing problems you are seeing

1 Like

Issue is solved in todays github build 24-08-21

1 Like

Hi, the gpu lightmass is way off in UE5.4.4 (Epic Games Launcher) it bakes too dark when i switch the mobility to static instead of stationary and it constantly gives an error that lighting needs to be rebuilt while lighting was built. Thank you.

1 Like

And so many lighting leaks.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

did you solve the no shadow issue because that is my problem. saw you deleted the post so maybe you figured it out? if so, how?

Hello everyone!
Until today I had the same problem with indirect lighting. Incorrect hard shadows were appearing on objects.
I have found that it is directly related to the distance object to the world’s coordinate origin. If you bake the scene at the origin 0,0,0 everything is correct, but if you move it approximately 50 meters, the lighting breaks.

This problem happens to me with version 5.3.2 as well as with 5.4.3 of the meta repository.

cpu lightmass