Epic - What can we do about the Pull Request situation?

For a long time now, Epic has had virtually no presence on GitHub when it comes to monitoring or reviewing community submissions and fixes. It often takes a lot of effort to prepare a PR and it can be disheartening to see it ignored.

We’re currently sitting at an enormous 1,800+ open Pull Requests, many of which are simply going out of date and/or awaiting any kind of comment or feedback. Many of them are simple fixes, in some cases for long-standing engine issues that remain a frustration point for users. Others are dramatic improvements that greatly improve the overall usability of the engine and some of it’s features.

Obviously the complexities of merging code from the general public into the engine cannot be under-estimated, and Epic understandably cannot always provide full transparency on upcoming features and fixes that may conflict with community suggestions. There are also plenty of frankly useless/corrupt PR’s that don’t follow convention and pollute the overall repository.

My complaint however is more about the lack of any real known policy and/or acknowledgement of this as an issue. Ideally of course, Epic would fix much of these issues internally through the natural development process - but this is not always the case, and many systems which Epic seem to have ceased development on are in real need of improvement.

I suspect the community at large would appreciatte some clarity and/or openness from Epic on this subject. If Epic doesn’t have the capacity to deal with PR’s in a meaningful way that’s fair enough, but any information about policy and what Epic may or may not be considering to tackle this enormous backlog would be appreciatted!

Cheers

Agree, lack of any information is the worst. At this point it would be better if it just wasn’t possible to submit a PR since everyone has no idea if it makes sense to put any effort into research of Unreal codebase and making a PR since it probably will just get stuck and maybe even outdated at some point.

Couple related cases - How can I get my Unreal Engine pull request reviewed? - Programming & Scripting / C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums