Epic Games Marketplace broken

Good Day everyone. I have an issue with my Epic Games Launcher as well as the UE Marketplace.
Epic Games Launcher:
As well I like to use it, it just bugs all the time, can’t open games, it crashes on me, and lately, It just doesn’t want to open. Just not the experience I once had. The UE Tab is even buggier than ever after installing three branches of the UE. 4.26, 4.27, and 5.
The Launcher refused to open after cache clearing and multiple restarts and re-installs which is just frustrating.

UE Marketplace:
It simply just doesn’t work. This may be the saddest part of them all. All the Plugins you could get and all these cool textures while a lot of them are free and cool, just are not available to me.
To draw the picture, my UE Marketplace looks like yours but I can’t navigate. Nothing. Simply pressing on the pack or plugin or whatever does nothing for me and I always see the default, Main Page.

What do… I really would like to install the marketplace plugins I got for free and actually would prefer “not” to troubleshoot before I can finally be creative. Cause until now, the Epic Games Launcher and UE have been a real pain and have left a bad aftertaste.

Cheers

Hi Saloron,
I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems. At its core, this sounds like a launcher issue that is also impacting Marketplace. It sounds like you’ve already taken several steps in troubleshooting. We’ve had a few other sporadic reports of this, and could use your help providing the launcher team with more information.

Please go to our help site and create a support case so we can work with you directly? It would be helpful if you can provide launcher logs with your ticket.

Thanks,
Josh

1 Like

Good Day Josh
Thanks for your reply and your time. I will create a ticket to have it fixed cause atm it’s just bugging me.

Cheers
Adrian

Hey Josh,

Don’t wanna be in any shape or form disrespectful but nothing happened since my initial post and I am unable to work… I can hold of my work and do something else, but it’s still… not cool. Should I just reinstall the launcher software?

My case number: 00396149

Cheers
Adrian

I basically can’t use Marketplace assets anymore either. The launcher crashes when trying to import them. It doesn’t seem to matter which asset, or which engine version I use. I’ve sent dozens of crash reports. But in my case, I’ve spent many 1000$ on those assets. And I created a case in August 14 2021, and even after many updates, the Laucher still hasn’t been fixed. Epic “support” can be summarized in “Have you tried re-installing it?” Beyond that, don’t expect any real help. Your case will probably never reach a dev, which is the only type of person that might help you, or me.

1 Like

That’s just messed up! Wow, how do you come by? Other Machine or found another solution to resolve your issue? I really wanna use Unreal Engine but these bugs which already start by just opening a launcher is just… annoying. Sad… so many brick walls…

But that means, an older patch version of the epic games launcher might work. Do you think it’s possible to download previous versions of the launcher? That might help. I’ll try that next week.

Cheers

My work-around is that I have an “old PC” where unreal is also installed, and it installs the assets on that one. Idk what the difference is. But it’s too old to work with, so after installation, I copy the whole project back to the new PC. It’s a massive pain. I did find an old version of the launcher, but using it on the new PC did not help.

EDIT: This gave me an idea: I zipped the entire “Epic Games” directory on the old PC, copied it to a new directory on the new PC, and started the launcher from there. Even using the exact same files, it doesn’t work on the new PC. So, the real bug is probably in some “third-party” DLL. And since it works on the “old” PC, but not the “new” one, the problem is probably in the newest version of some third-party DLL, which means that re-installing the PC will probably not fix the issue, since you’re then going to have the newest version of everything. :sob:

That’s a time consuming and just unpleasant workflow. Even an old patch from the Launcher does not work… I’m loosing hope.

Ok, I reckon that is something I would have tried as well, even tho it’s not a very smart idea, but still. Yeah… sadly makes sense. But don’t you actually have a premium support by buying the assets and wherever not using it professionally?

I am just a small Indie Dev who plays around with UE, so to speak, but still would like to create a game without UE just saying no, we fail you before you can begin you’re creative process.

Anyway, I’m gone leave UE for now, if I find a solution, Idea or just something, I’ll hit you up.

Cheers

Just buying assets doesn’t give you “premium support”. You have to pay extra for that. I haven’t asked, bc I doubt I could afford it anyway. I’m a “hobbyist”; I don’t plan to “sell games”. I’m just old enough to afford spending “real money” on my hobby…

I had a similar experience with the launcher while visiting someone. Turned out to be the way they had piped the network through a dns server. They had set up a box that stripped ads off of webpages and… well… epic launcher just wouldn’t operate while on that network. The web browser worked just fine for the marketplace though.

2 Likes

Hi Adrian,
We submitted a bug report to the dev team working on the launcher, but the issue isn’t resolved yet. This doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue, though we have seen other reports. I’m not sure why it’s impacting you, and I do think a fresh install is worth trying.

I’m sorry that this issue is impacting you, and I hope we see it resolved soon.

Josh

This completely saved the day for me! I have a pihole running on my network to block adds and tried temporarily disabling it and then moving to a different tab (other than Marketplace) and back and now it’s working! I found only one thing blocked: browser.pipe.aria.microsoft.com. I whitelisted that and now it works even with pihole running.

Thanks! I never would’ve thought the DNS filter would cause such a weird behavior because the buttons act like you didn’t even clicked them rather than produce an error.

2 Likes

Oh wow if I’m ever back on that network I’ll definitely try the whitelist. Legendary.

1 Like

My Network is piped through a DNS Service as Well. I modified my PiHole a little to hard, guess that’s a issue I would have never solved alone. Thanks for the input. :slight_smile:

Hey Josh,
The issue has been solved. @NotSoAccurateNo1 mentioned the piped Network and soon after that, I realised that I use another DNS resolver. Turned that off and ■■■■ worked like magic. Have been able to whitelist it and use PiHole on the same network and Unreal/Generally just works better, won’t question it.
Happy that we finally found a solution.
Cheers
Adrian